Dry hair is a problem that many women experience. Everyone who has this problem probably already tried plenty of different tools while searching for the best remedy for dry hair. Cosmetics shops are full of shampoos and conditioners which can improve the look of your hair for few hours. Such treatments cannot provide proper nutrition and hydration. We will talk here only about home remedies which can nourish and moisturize hair. We will discuss only remedies which give hair shine and also take care of scalp. Luckily such home remedies as hair masks are not expensive but quick and easy to prepare.
- The first remedy: Hair mask with honey
- The second remedy: Hair mask with coconut oil
- The third remedy: Hair mask with avocado
- The fourth remedy: Strawberry mask
- The fifth remedy: Hair mask with milk
Honey is extremely rich in nutrients and substances which are beneficial for our health. Some scientists believe that honey has similar composition to our blood. For this reason honey is so easily absorbed by skin or hair. Hair after applying mask with honey looks shiny and becomes healthy. If you want to solve problem with dry hair, make hair stronger and get rid of dandruff you should start using treatments for hair with honey.
Basic rules on use of hair mask with honey
- Honey always should be added after the warm part of preparation (after heating the main components). The temperature of the mixture at the moment when you add honey should not exceed 36-39 degrees. Otherwise all the benefits of honey will be lost.
- Hair mask should be prepared immediately before the application. If you will prepare too big portion better use everything at once. Ingredients will just lose their benefits if you will store them till next use.
- Always implement mask only on clean and slightly wet hair.
- Keep masks with honey on the hair for 40-60 minutes. Hair should be wrapped in towel which you can just immediately throw into washing. When you are planning the course of procedures make sure you have few towels in case you do not do your laundry every day.
- After hair masks with honey it is recommended to rinse hair with herbal decoction. You can prepare your own conditioner.
- Repeat masks every day for two weeks. Such treatment is recommended to repeat few times a year.
Combination of olive oil and honey will provide hair with maximum moisture and nutrition. Warm up 6 tablespoons of olive oil and add 4 tablespoons of honey (this amount is enough for long hair, use same proportion but smaller portion of each ingredient for short hair). Leave mask on the hair covered with towel. Rinse hair after such mask very well and long.
- Mix 50 grams of nettle and same amount of chamomile.
- Pour herbs with 1 liter of boiling water.
- Boil herbs for 10-12 minutes on very low heat.
- Drain the broth and use as rinse for hair as soon as it will get colder.
Sometimes we are too lazy to prepare natural masks or conditioners and it is very bad for our health. Shampoos, masks and conditioners which we buy in the shop (even if they are called natural or organic)
are full of chemicals and additives which will be absorbed by hair. Try to switch to home remedies for your hair and you will notice how the condition of your dry hair will change within few weeks.
Advice: Rub honey into hair roots if you are having severe hair loss. Leave honey on the roots for 30-60 minutes.
You might notice that coconut is very popular ingredient of beauty hair products. Especially coconut is often main ingredient of beauty products for dry hair. However instead of using products from cosmetics shops which just have smell of coconut you can buy coconut oil and use it for your hair.
Beneficial elements of coconut oil
- fatty acids;
- vitamin B and C;
Such a composition is best tool for taking care of dry hair. Coconut oil will heal not only your hair but also skin of scalp. If you ever feel itchy scalp you should definitely try coconut oil. Coconut oil will relieve itching and irritation of the scalp, repair damaged skin cells and also protect hair and skin from the sun, wind and cold. If you have problem with dry hair and split ends you should try coconut oil treatment.
Coconut oil against split ends
- Use only few drops of natural coconut oil. Put on ends immediately after shower. Be gentle with hair. Implement oil on slightly wet hair. Leave oil on the hair for 30 minutes and rinse hair. When you use towel also try to be careful with ends.
- Use 3-5 drops of coconut oil and apply it on hair and ends in the evening. Leave oil on the hair till morning.
Natural coconut oil will cure and protect your hair. If you notice that your usual shampoo, conditioner and hair care doesn’t give desired result you should try coconut oil. If your hair is oily on the roots and dry on the ends you should use coconut oil only on the ends. If you have dry hair from roots till ends you should apply coconut oil first on scalp (with massage movements) and then along hair. Wrap hair in the towel and wait for 20 minutes. Wash hair as usual after coconut oil treatment.
Coconut oil is especially useful for recovery of damaged hair. If you have hard coconut oil you can just warm it up in hand or on steam.
Advice: Coconut oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties. It will cure any wounds on scalp.
Avocado is not just tasty but very beneficial for health. In fact avocado can be used for hair as it can provide wide range of vitamins and nutrition for the hair. Avocado contains antioxidants, vitamin A, E, D and B6, amino acids and minerals (potassium, sulfur, copper, iron and magnesium). What is most
important for dry hair is that avocado contains fatty acids. These acids provide nourishment and intense hydration, keeping moisture in the hair cells.
Benefits of avocado for hair
- Avocado (if used regularly in hair masks) will promote hair growth and prevent hair loss.
- It will return shine to dull hair (especially to hair ruined by different procedures).
- It strengthens hair roots restores lifeless hair.
Avocado can be used on its own or with few additional ingredients. Very good results can be achieved by implementing avocado together with banana, olive oil and mayonnaise.
Avocado hair mask recipe
- Using blender or fork make puree from half avocado and half banana. Both banana and avocado should be soft.
- Add 2-4 spoons of olive oil and same amount of homemade mayonnaise.
- Mix all ingredients and immediately implement mask on the hair.
- Apply mask in the bathroom (in order not to make mess because of the fatty ingredients).
- Try to spread the mask along the hair.
- Wear shower cap and towel on the top.
- In 30 minutes wash with warm water your hair and let it dry naturally.
If you do not have some of the ingredients you can prepare your own recipe. One of very popular combination of ingredients is avocado with honey and olive oil. After such hair treatments you will never return to hair masks from cosmetic shops.
Advice: If you are not in a hurry leave mask on the hair the whole hour. Your hair will feel and look better and better after each procedure.
Strawberry is excellent treatment for dry hair. Strawberry juice has amazing healing properties. Strawberries can make tired and dull hair look fresh, full of energy and strong. There are plenty of different recipes but most important is that strawberry combines perfectly with any other components. Very often this berry is used for recovery of dry curly hair (if it can cure curly hair it will definitely help straight hair).
Mask with strawberry, eggs and olive oil
- Amount of strawberries depends on your hair length. For long hair take 200 grams of strawberry, 1 egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Take berries and blend them or mash them with fork. Better use soft berries.
- Add yolk (or two yolks) and olive oil.
- Mix all ingredients together and apply on your wet hair.
- Apply on roots (very gently) and along the hair (especially on the ends if you have a problem with split ends).
After such mask your hair will be shiny and full of energy. No need to hold it too long on hair (20-30 minutes is perfect).
Advice: The best hydration for hair will give strawberry which is bought on local market or even collected in your garden.
Milk is very beneficial for health of hair. Because of its qualities it can very quickly help to get rid of excessive dryness and bring healthy shine to your hair. Additional benefit of milk hair masks is positive effect on hair growth.
Beneficial components of milk
- Thanks to protein masks with milk will repair damaged hair and heal split ends.
- B vitamins will protect each hair from negative external factors (by covering every single hair with thin layer of protective cover).
- Lactic acid will strengthen the production of collagen.
- Calcium will prevent hair loss and strengthen the roots.
This combination of elements makes milk good for oily and dry hair. Homemade masks with milk can be prepared even from milk you bought in the supermarket. However such treatment will not give same result as mask with natural milk. Because of its composition the best choice for home remedies is goat milk. Cow milk is also beneficial for hair.
Honey and milk hair mask
- You will need half a cup of goat (or cow) milk at room temperature and 1-2 tablespoons of honey.
- Stir until honey is dissolved completely.
- Gently apply on your hair (especially on ends and roots).
- Leave for 1 hour. Wash your hair using natural shampoo and conditioner.
The mixture of milk and honey is used by women hundreds of years. Nowadays you can find shampoos and hair masks in the shop which has these components. However homemade mask will give you magical result. Immediately after first use you will notice how shiny and beautiful your hair is.
Advice: If you store milk in the fridge you will need to warm it up before applying mask. Warm up milk before adding any ingredients (as they can lose their beneficial properties when warmed up).