The lower the temperature on the thermometer, the more often we recall a problem like weather-beaten lips. Often irritated and cracked skin on the lips causes serious discomfort and interferes with enjoying life. Therefore, today we will talk about what to do if the lips are weathered: how quickly to cure the skin and restore beauty and softness. The skin of the lips is very sensitive and requires constant care. Every day it is exposed to the influence of external factors – frost, wind, sun. As a result, the lips can be weathered and cracked.
To avoid this, you need to use effective caring cosmetics or natural products. Having found out the cause of weathering and cracks in your case, you can start treatment. Since most often the main reason still lies in the licking or biting of the lips and the effect of the wind, then we will consider in more detail the ways of treating this particular case.
- Step number 1: Determine the cause of chapped lips
- Step number 2: Take care of chapped lips properly
- Step number 3: Use natural homemade remedies for cracked lips
- Step number 4: Remove dead skin particles from the chapped lips
- Step number 5: Apply natural cosmetic oils to lips
- How to Prevent the Problem of Chapped Lips: 7 Preventive Measures You Should Take
To find an effective remedy, it is very important to determine the causes of the problem. The key factor is the effect of wind. In summer, the lips are additionally exposed to ultraviolet radiation. In addition, the causes of airing the lips can be the following.
- Dehydration of the body. If a person does not consume enough fluid, he has a feeling of dryness. In this case, there is a need to lick lips often to slightly moisten them. This is what causes the weathering. To solve the problem, you should get rid of this bad habit.
- Improperly selected toothpaste. If too much fluoride is present in this product, the problem cannot be avoided. At the same time, not only the skin of the lips suffers, but also the adjacent areas. In this situation, you should change toothpaste.
- Deficiency of vitamins. With insufficient consumption of nutrients, the problem will arise constantly. In this case, it is very important to make adjustments to the menu or drink a course of vitamins.
- Allergic reactions. If you have these symptoms, you should not self-medicate. In this situation, you need to see a doctor who will determine the cause of the allergy and select effective medications.
Important: Consider the reasons of chapped lips and get a professional consultation if you think that your chapped lips aren’t caused by sun or wind exposure.
Before treating chapped lips, it is very important to provide them with the full-fledged care. Thanks to this, it will be possible to quickly improve the skin condition.
For this, it is necessary to follow such recommendations:
- Maintain a temperature in the room of 20-22 degrees. Humidity of air should be at least 40-50%.
- After the shower, you need to treat the skin with a moisturizer. It is advisable to choose products that contain a small amount of fatty components.
- Lips that are prone to cracking should be treated with cocoa butter.
- After water procedures, do not dry your skin. In order for the cream to function better, it is recommended to apply it on a damp dermis.
- In the summer, before going out on the street, you should always use a lipstick with an ultraviolet filter.
- If this problem arises, you should stop using too hot or too cold foods. This can aggravate the damage to the skin of the lips.
Important: It is strictly forbidden to go to the frost with dry cracks. To minimize the harmful effects of low temperatures, it is recommended to use olive oil.
Some natural remedies may seem a bit exotic but you can choose what will suit you best. For example, lips were smeared with oil from fused birds, and in extreme cases – in fact, women had to work at any time of the year, not only indoors, but also on the street – fat-badger, melted pork or goose fat. The taste and smell of these remedies is not very pleasant, but they perfectly protect the lips.
An interesting recipe is a mixture of melted fat and pink petals. Take 1 tbsp. of fresh pink petals, carefully ground with the same amount of melted fat and apply to the lips several times a day. The mixture is stored in the refrigerator. It is obvious that in winter it is unlikely to find fresh rose petals, so you can collect them in the country or in the garden while it’s still warm, and try to store it in the freezer, putting it in a plastic container. A mixture of hemp oil with candle wax quickly heals the weathered lips. You must melt the oil with wax in a water bath and lubricate the lips for the night – sometimes one procedure is enough.
With strong cracks, honey is very effective. It perfectly softens the dried skin and heals the tiniest cracks. Just apply a thick layer on the lips and leave it for 15 minutes.
It is necessary to put the flesh of the avocado on the surface of the lips and leave for 10-15 minutes. Then, carefully remove. Fatty acids, which are part of this fruit, have an excellent nutritional effect.
A mask of cottage cheese mixed with fat cream and left on the lips for 10-15 minutes, will create an unsurpassed effect, making the skin of the lips soft and gentle.
Excellent effect will be provided by gruel from the pulp of cucumber. Just hold it on the skin of your lips for about 10 minutes, then smear it with vegetable oil or hygienic lipstick, skipping the peeling step.
To make an effective mask, you need to boil a fresh apple in milk. As a result, you should get a puree, which is applied to the chapped lips with a thick layer. After 20 minutes, the remedy can be removed with a cotton pad.
If the lips are chapped very much, you can use a therapeutic ointment. For its preparation, take 1 small spoonful of Vaseline, cocoa butter and beeswax. It will also require 1 tablespoon of decoction of chamomile. To prepare this product, it is recommended to melt the beeswax on the steam bath, then put Vaseline and cocoa butter. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly and add a chamomile broth.The product should be boiled and removed from heat. Ointment should be stirred until completely cooled. The obtained composition is recommended to be used 2 times a day.
Mask with sea buckthorn oil
This is a quick treatment option. It is necessary to melt honey (50 g), add glycerin (20 g), propolis tincture (10 ml) and sea buckthorn oil (15 g), and then mix well. Apply on the skin twice a day.
To make effective treatment of weathered lips and reduce the number of cracks, you can prepare a salt compress: dilute one teaspoon of salt in 0.5 liters of water at room temperature. Wet a piece of clean cloth or gauze in the resulting solution, attach to your lips for ten minutes, remove the compress and immediately spread the skin with a fatty nourishing cream like Vaseline.
Important: Moisturize your lips well and prevent moisture from evaporating even in a room with very dry air.
To do this, you can use several methods:
- Just lightly rub lips after any mask. Warmed up particles of unnecessary skin are easily removed at the same time.
- Mixing a spoonful of sugar (preferably brown unrefined) with a little olive oil or petroleum jelly, you will get an excellent scrub for your sponges. Rub your lips with this mixture and rejoice in the double effect of cleansing and restoring.
- Candied honey. Apply it to the lips and rub them for 1-2 minutes, then just rinse.
- Apply a little Vaseline on the lips and massage them for a while, then remove with the moistened cotton pad. Such a gentle method is recommended for severe soreness and fissures.
Important: Take into account that this is only if there are no inflammations, otherwise you risk exacerbating the situation.
After the procedures for removing the dead skin particles, complete the whole operation by applying vegetable oil to the surface of the lips. The best in this case is olive oil, but you can also use any of the available in your arsenal, whether it’s exotic jojoba oil or ordinary vegetable oil. In the future, do not forget to regularly use a good hygiene lipstick, which will prevent overdrying and cracks on the skin of the lips, as well as all the listed recipes for lip mask masks, not only during the inflammatory process, but also to prevent the appearance of cracks, especially in winter.
Natural cosmetic oils, such as almond, olive, from wheat germ, due to their moisturizing and protective effect, are considered effective remedies for the lips.
It perfectly nourishes and moisturizes. And also creates a protective film on the skin, which protects from cracks and overdrying. If you use castor oil for the lips, it will help you get rid of cracks and dryness, and also protect the gentle skin from weathering in cold weather. Before use, the oil should be slightly warmed to body temperature. You need to apply it several times a day, preferably before leaving home and always at night. The effect from its use you will notice quite quickly, but to continue its application better throughout the autumn-winter period.
The rose hip oil is known for its useful properties. In the season of colds, the healing broth will help you to strengthen immunity and saturate the body with useful substances. The plant contains a huge list of useful substances: fat-soluble vitamins A and E. They are responsible for the preservation of skin youth and participate in the development of new cells. Antioxidants help to fight free radicals, thus inhibiting the aging of the skin.
Useful minerals are responsible for the elasticity of the skin, the preservation of its health and beauty. The lack of even one mineral in the body immediately affects its appearance. The content of fatty acids in our skin is calculated in microdoses. Nevertheless, these are very necessary and valuable substances for the body, which are responsible for the appearance and condition of our skin. Regular use of rose hip oil will help you get rid of premature wrinkles in the corners of your lips, nourish the skin with useful vitamins, eliminate dryness, heal small cracks. Use this oil twice a day.
Cacao essential oil
This exotic oil is an indispensable component of almost all lip balms. In its pure form it is a solid, yellowish color, with a characteristic cocoa flavor. When applied to the skin of the lips, it instantly melts, leaving behind a pleasant moisturizing.
For overdried and rough skin of the lips, this oil will be a real salvation. It perfectly moisturizes, softens, creates a protective film that helps to fight the loss of moisture and the appearance of painful cracks. Store this oil in the refrigerator. At a high temperature (above 25 degrees) it begins to melt. To enhance the effect of using cocoa butter, you can use it in half with beeswax. To do this, you need to melt the wax in a water bath, then add cocoa butter to it and stir well. If you pour the resulting consistency in the used bottle from lipstick, you can get an excellent home remedy for lip protection, which you can always carry with you. Thanks to wax, after cooling, this balm will retain its shape and never melt in your purse.
Important: Whichever lip oil you choose, the most important condition is to use it regularly. Only in this way you can you achieve excellent results and make your lips gentle, moisturized and beautiful.
To prevent such problems, it is very important to follow certain rules:
- Use moisturizing lip balms. In their composition there must be vitamins and hyaluronic acid.
- In winter, it is not recommended to apply cosmetics on the skin that contains retinol, alcohol or menthol. These ingredients have a drying effect.
- In summer it is necessary to apply balms containing ultraviolet filters. And you need to choose quality products – this will help to avoid allergic reactions.
- It is advisable to give up smoking. If you cannot do it, do not smoke outside in windy or cold weather.
- It is strongly forbidden to lick or bite the rough skin. It is much better to lubricate it with moisturizing cream or balm.
- In winter, the lips crack and dry out in warm rooms with dry air. Therefore, it is so important to use an air humidifier.
- To make the skin more elastic, you need to reconsider your diet. It is very important to eat foods that contain vitamin B2. They include nuts, liver, mushrooms. It is also important to eat dairy products that provide the body with calcium.