Spiders are not comfortable neighbors to live with because:
- They are scary: many people are afraid of spiders. Arachnophobia is a common morbid fear and it makes sense: you cannot call a creature with big eyes, hairy body and eight legs cute.
- Spiders are nasty: they are not just nasty in themselves; they leave lots of web and dead insects. Such decorations will say to everyone that you are not good in cleaning. We bet that nobody wants to get such reputation among friends and guests.
- Spiders can be dangerous: mostly they are harmless, but some species of spiders can be of great danger to you, your family or your pets. The more southwards you live, the bigger is risk to meet venomous or extremely big spiders. Residents of Australia must be especially aware.
So, how can we get rid of spiders in the most efficient way? How can you forbid them entering your home for good? We have gathered some useful, easy-to-make and natural receipts for you.
- The first method. Shut every spiders’ way to your home.
- The second method. Try to make a natural repellent.
- The third method. Your garden can help you.
- The fourth method. Clean your house more frequent.
The pros and cons of these actions are quite equivalent: the spiders will not get to your home by themselves; however even the closest flyscreen can hardly protect you from little or even microscopic spiders and spiderlings.
They can also get to your place traveling on you or on things you bring. There is a possibility that this method will remove every insect from your flat, so there will be nothing for spiders to eat.
Despite lots of spider repellents shown in advertisements and standing on counters you can easily make your own spider spray and stop the spider invasion once and for all. A natural spider repellent is a mixture of water and essential oils of strong smell. They have to be applied more times than fabric insecticides, but they have no poisoning substances in composition, so they will not be dangerous for your family or pets. Such repellent is cheaper than any fabric one and it is very easy to make. Before mixing one for yourself, please be sure that you and your family members are not allergic for the ingredients.
- Take about 5 drops of essential oil (citrus, lavender, tea tree, cinnamon, peppermint or citronella) that spiders don’t like.
- Add 5 drops of natural dish washing liquid.
- Dissolve the mixture in 1 qt. (about 1 l) of pure water.
- Pour the solution into the bottle with sprayer.
- Shake the bottle well for about 1 minute.
Your spray is ready and now you can apply it on every surface or place where you have seen spiders. Don’t forget about corners, blend of doorways, windows and dark places, as spiders like them most of all. If you are taking this problem seriously and want a spider to go away forever, spray the liquid on its web. This will make a spider search for a new home. Be aware to apply this pray on the plants, as dishwashing liquid can be dangerous for them.
There is a simpler way to let spiders know that you are not happy to see them. The smell of citrus is, maybe, the best way to repel spiders and insects. You just have to get some citrus juice, dissolve it in water and use this solution for wiping the surfaces or as a spray. The citrus spray is also good for your garden.
Here is a recipe of a repellent for those who don’t care about the smell at all:
- Take about 120 ml of vinegar.
- Add two tablespoons of chili powder or the hottest chili sauce.
- Dissolve the mixture in 1 liter of pure water.
- Pour the mixture into the spray bottle.
- Spray it everywhere you have seen spiders and their webs.
Such plants and lavender and mint can repel spiders and insects by themselves. So it is a good idea to plant them under your windows and near the doors outside your house.
It is considered to be the most harmless and natural way to prevent spiders from entering your house. Please be sure that you are not allergic for the scent of the plants or their pollen and blossom dust.
Yes, a clean house will never be a spiders’ nest. Vacuum or wipe every web or spider every time you see them. The spiders will be not able to set up a colony if they are always disturbed and killed. Cleaning is also a good way to get rid of spiders’ food. We mean other insects that can live in dust and eat trash.
Please note that spiders are a problem that has to be treated in integrated approach. Using only one method we have described can be not enough, so don’t be afraid to combine them. Be sure that a method that you are going to use is not harmful for you and people surrounding you.