When a person is suffering from constipation there is only one good solution that seems the most logical in this situation and that is taking a laxative. Most of us do not care about side effects and addiction and immediately consume a pill or few. Such an option to get rid of constipation is the easiest but not the most correct. It is always better to eat something harmless and get rid of annoying problem.
Thus natural remedies are preferable than artificial. Natural laxative cleans upper intestine and helps us to solve the problem without any risks for health. Some of the natural laxative are already in our kitchen and the other are affordable and sold in any supermarket. Let’s investigate which food will solve our problem.
- The first product: Olive oil
- The second product: Bananas
- The third product: Pumpkin
- The fourth product: Fig
- The fifth product: Plum
- The sixth product: Flax seeds
Olive oil as a product is incredible natural laxative. It can be even consumed on its own. Just consuming half spoon of olive oil 3-4 times a day will lead you to normal visit to the toilet. In case you have some problems with the gall bladder you should consume the product in the smaller doses.
Benefits of olive oil:
- Regular consumption of olive oil is known as an effective means to prevent the disposition of cholesterol in the arterial walls.
- Olive oil is a source of nutrients for the body.
- Consumption of this product helps to empty and support the cells of intestinal.
Also olive oil is used for preparation of the enema. It is known as a light enema and perfect for relaxation and eliminating leftovers from the colon.
Enema with olive oil:
- Make an enema using 230 gram of pure olive oil. Do not add any water or additives.
- As soon as emptying of the colon will complete make an enema with warm water.
- And the last (third) enema should be made with 1.4 liters of body temperature water and 1 tablespoon of Glyco-Thymoline. You can skip this medicine (in case you do not have it) and finish with water enema.
This final enema will prevent further weakening and relaxation of the colon. This olive oil enema can be used 1-2 times a week. Especially this remedy is recommended in chronic constipation cases.
Advice: Do not get used to enemas as it is easy to make our colon addicted to them. Use them not often than few times a year.
Bananas are known as a fruits which can quickly satisfy the hunger. They are comfortably packed in skins and can wait for you in the pocket of bag. One banana contains average 60-80 calories and it is recommended to consume 1-2 fruits a day. Do not eat more if you want to stay slim.
Benefits of bananas:
- Bananas are known for big amount of fiber which is causing the laxative effect.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables are excluded from the diet in case you have pancreas. The only fruit which is not eliminated is banana.
- In the end of XX century scientists have proven that banana fruit contains a substance similar in structure to the so-called hormone of happiness: serotonin and endorphins.
- Eat bananas and you will be full of vitamins and never depressed.
- Potassium and magnesium which are contained in bananas are reducing possibility if emotional breakdowns.
- Potassium is also restoring the electrolyte balance in the gastrointestinal tract.
The main point for us is that bananas are natural laxatives. They do not increase the secretion of the digestive juices and they do not irritate the walls of stomach. Many people suffering from the stomach ulcer confirmed that this product is relieving the pain. That is why banana is recommended for those who suffer from gastritis and stomach ulcer. Bananas should be stored in the kitchen as they do not like fridge (perfect temperature is 10-12 degrees Celsius). Always take fruits out of the plastic bags.
Advice: Do not consume unripe bananas. Unripe fruits contain starch which is almost impossible to digest. They cause gases and enlarge amount of intestine bacteria.
In fact pumpkin as well as pumpkin seeds are natural laxatives. Leading medical scientists are sure that the use of pumpkin seeds has a beneficial effect on the body as they have therapeutic properties such as sedative, hypnotic, laxative and anthelmintic. Pumpkin is known as a vegetable which is first aloud to be consumed after the surgeries on intestines.
Benefits of pumpkin:
- The pumpkin contains potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, sugar, vitamin C, B1, B2, P, cellulose.
- Pumpkin pulp is pleasant for taste, rich in carbohydrates, pectin and carotene. In fact pumpkin is richer in carotene than a carrot.
- This vegetable is especially rich in copper, iron and cobalt.
- With such composition pumpkin provides remarkable effect on the blood and normalizes the amount of fluid in the body.
Unfortunately pumpkin is not that often used in cooking. Now when we know about all the benefits we should include it in our diet.
Ways to cook pumpkin:
- This vegetable is perfect ingredient for soups. It can be added as one of the ingredients and also can be a base of the smooth paste soup.
- Pumpkin can be baked in the oven. Add favorite spices, wrap in foil and bake.
- Sweet baked or boiled pumpkin can become a healing desert in our diet.
- This vegetable can be even eaten raw. Very tasty and healthy food.
- Perfect recipe against constipation is pumpkin porridge with millet. Millet is known as natural laxative as well as it is rich is fiber. Combination of pumpkin and millet will solve the problem perfectly.
Pumpkin can be consumed in huge amounts. You will eat a lot and will not feel discomfort in the stomach. It gently heals entire digestive tract eliminating constipation and many other inconveniences.
Advice: Pumpkin is not recommended in huge amounts for those who struggle from diabetes.
For a long time the fig is used in medicine. It is used as a remedy for cough and diseases of the throat. The pulp of the fruit has good diaphoretic and antipyretic properties. Not everyone knows that fig is containing more iron than apples and it is prescribed for the patients struggling from the anemia.
Laxative recipe with fig:
- Take 2-3 dried figs and cover them with 200 ml of warm water.
- Leave figs for the night to stay.
- Consume figs and water together on the empty stomach.
Fig should be consumed on the regular basis as a preventive measure and as a source of huge amount of vitamins and minerals.
Benefits of fig:
- Fruit contain following vitamins: B-carotene, B1, B3, PP, C and minerals: sodium – 18 mg / 100g, potassium – 268, calcium – up to 34 Magnesium – up to 20, phosphorus – 32.
- Amount of potassium is so big that fig is the second richest food in it after nuts.
- Plant your fig tree and you will get your first harvest in 2-3 years.
- Presence of the potassium is helpful in cases of the cardiovascular system diseases as well as known for its positive effect on the absorption of blood clots in the vessels.
The plant is not that picky and can easily grow on poor land, rocks or even stone walls. However healthy trees can survive only with the proper water supply.
Advice: Remember about contraindications of figs which are gout, acute diarrheal diseases (due to the presence of fiber) and diabetes (due to huge amount of sugar).
The fruits of plums (fresh) and especially dried (prunes) as well as made of them juices and fruit drinks are known for the natural laxative effect. They are recommended when we experience constipation. Plum is easily digested and consumed a lot during the summer. Unfortunately we do not have a habit to consume it regularly. As soon as people find out benefits of the plum they immediately buy it in any form and consume regularly especially in case of chronic constipation.
Benefits of plum:
- Plum (especially dried) has a laxative and diuretic effect. They cause healing effect in atherosclerosis, liver diseases, heart and kidney diseases and hypertension.
- Fruit contains a lot of vitamin P which helps to reduce the pressure and strengthen blood vessels.
- Plums contribute to the formation of blood, relax the lower digestive tract and clean the stomach.
- Plums strengthen the liver and purify the blood, eliminating toxins from the body.
- Fruit is rich in phosphorus and potassium, magnesium, calcium and iron.
Some products can provide laxative effect only when they are properly cooked. Many patients confirmed that plum helped them better than pumpkin.
Plum as a natural laxative:
- Take few dried plums and pour them with the boiling water. Leave them to stay whole night.
- Do not boil fruits.
- Do not add sugar or honey.
- Consume fruits on the empty stomach in the morning and few times during a day.
- Those who suffer from constipation a lot should drink water in which plums stayed at night.
Plums can be consumed fresh and as a puree. Plum juice and plum puree is also known as a tasty natural laxative.
Advice: Only ripe fruits should be consumed. Sour taste of the plum indicates that the fruit is not ripe yet.
Flax seeds may seem not tasty food from the first try but they can be cooked properly and become very tasty and healthy meal. It is not a problem to find them as they are sold in any supermarket or healthy food store.
Flax seeds as a natural laxative:
- Take 2 tablespoons of seeds and cover them with 1 cup of boiling water. You can leave them for 15 minutes or put them on the steam for the same time.
- Let them stay so seeds will easier be separated from the liquid.
- Stir the liquid and let it stay for 4-5 hours in warm place.
- Consume the liquid on its own or add a bit of cranberry juice sweetened with honey.
- Seeds chew and consume as well.
You can also add seeds to the salads and other recipes. Bakery with flax seeds is extremely tasty and full of fibers. Unfortunately the product has some contraindications.
- Inflammatory processes in the intestine.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding.
- Women suffering from uterine fibroids, inflammation of the endometrium and polycystic.
- Men predisposed to prostate cancer.
Flaxseeds should be consumed at least in the amount of few tablespoons to provide us with positive effect. Flax seeds are swollen in the intestine thus increasing its volume. After stretching there occurs reduction which is improving peristalsis.
Advice: Sometimes we need to consume the product for 3-4 days in order to get laxative effect. Do not give up earlier and try natural remedy before any pills.