There are many recipes of traditional medicine that can help to clear the respiratory tract from phlegm. At the same time it is cheap, healthy and more effective than all the famous brands of medications sold in the drugstore.
We must remember that expectorants should not be used with each and every cold. We need expectorant only for diseases that are accompanied by wet cough when thick sputum is coming out. This happens with bronchitis (acute and chronic), pneumonia of different etiology, bronchial asthma, laryngitis, sinusitis and other diseases.
We will talk about possible ways to get rid of wet cough by preparing natural expectorant with the help of different natural syrups, compresses and other recipes only with organic components.
- The first product: Honey
- The second product: Onions
- The third product: Black radish
- The fourth product: Baking soda
- The fifth product: Bananas
- The sixth product: Oats
- The seventh product: Cramp bark
Honey as expectorant is used in home remedies since ancient times. It is proved that it has strong bactericidal qualities and rich in organic acids which prevent growth of bacteria. It is used in different ways as medication. Most common way is consumption of the honey, sometimes it is used for preparation of syrups and also often is used for making inhalation.
Compress against phlegm
- This treatment is very good when we need quickly to heal our body.
- Take small amount of liquid honey and parchment (you can take that one for cooking).
- Rub small amount of liquid honey on the chest and cover the chest with parchment.
- Cover yourself with warm blankets.
- Leave compress on the chest for 30-40 minutes.
The most terrible thing is when your child gets sick. Luckily honey is allowed even for kids. Children with chronic bronchitis should drink before bed a cup of milk with a teaspoon of honey. This simple remedy is working even better if to the cup of milk is added not just honey but also 1 teaspoon of goat fat. This is very beneficial treatment against wet cough. Perhaps this is the simplest recipe and known to everyone from childhood. Sometimes 1-2 tablespoons of honey are mixed in a glass of milk with a pinch of baking soda. This treatment can also be consumed during the day at the moments when you have coughing attacks.
Important: Any treatment with honey is not allowed for people with allergy to this product.
Onions are known as natural antibiotics. This simple product which is used every day in the kitchen in fact has strong anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. Onions with sugar are great help in getting rid of phlegm. In order to quickly use this remedy you should grate half of small onion and mix it with 1 tablespoon of honey. Consume one teaspoon of this mixture before each meal. However you can prepare full bottle of very good onions based expectorant and problem will be solved.
Expectorant from onions
- For the preparation of this homemade medicine take 500 grams of onions.
- Cut them into small pieces and put into bowl.
- Add 4 grams of sugar and pour it with 1 liter of water.
- Boil the mixture of sugar and onions, cover and leave on the low heat for 3 hours.
- When the mixture will cool add 50 grams of honey.
Consume this treatment after each meal. Each time take 1 tablespoon. Duration of this treatment is three days. Result will be almost immediate but you need to continue the treatment for whole three days and get rid of all the phlegm. Sometimes it is better to use milk instead of water and prepare the same recipe of natural expectorant but even more effective.
If you have important meeting and feel that you have annoying onions smell from your mouth you can chew some parsley or nuts and smell will immediately disappear. If you have problems with cutting onions and your eyes are wet you should often put your knife under the water while cutting.
Important: If you have problem with heart or liver you should stay away from this treatment.
Black radish contains proteins, carbohydrates (sucrose and fructose), fats, carotene, retinol (vitamin A), vitamin B9, C, trace elements of iron, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium, potassium and zinc. Radish contains useful organic acids, mineral salts, vitamins, enzymes, volatile, essential oils, proteins and amino acids. This quite not popular root improves metabolism, increases immunity and heals digestion. It is natural analogue of broad-spectrum antibiotic. And finally black radish is natural expectorant as it eliminates excess fluid from the body.
- Black radish with honey is known to be perfect combination in treating wet cough.
- Cut off the upper part and make a hole in the root in such a way that radish will look like small bowl.
- In the resulting cut you should put some honey.
- The amount of honey depends on how much syrup you want to get.
- Cover the cut with upper part which you cut off before.
- Leave radish to stay for 5 hours.
- In 5 hours you will get radish juice with dissolved honey in it.
Drink this syrup 3 times a day 2 tablespoons each time. This remedy helps to get rid of annoying phlegm in few days. It is natural and has no side effects. The remaining radish can be also used for preparation of compress.
- Peel the radish and grate it.
- Squeeze grated radish and wrap it into gauze.
- Spread it evenly and attach to the blade.
- Leave it on the spot for 15-20 minutes.
- No need to cover with plastic. Cover yourself with something warm and towel.
- This simple trick will provide heat and take out phlegm from bronchi.
As soon as skin will get pink move compress under another blade. If you will consume radish syrup and at the same time make radish compress your wet cough will disappear sooner than you ever expected. Radish is so good natural expectorant that bronchitis will be cured in just few days of such therapy will be over.
Important: Keep prepared syrup in the fridge but warm it up till room temperature before drinking.
Baking soda is the most affordable and harmless expectorant for pregnant women, people with allergies and small children with dry cough. A solution of baking soda is used mostly for gargling. However it can be also consumed inside. A few simple rules will help you make the right kind of medicine with correct technology of preparation and without losing healing mineral properties of the drink.
Expectorant from baking soda
- Take 250 ml of milk and half teaspoon of baking soda.
- Do not allow the milk to a boil. Boiling milk loses much of its beneficial properties.
- Milk should just slightly start boiling and should be removed from the heat.
- Baking soda should be added in the hot milk.
- Drink should be consumed immediately.
It is enough to take such drink once a day. Preferably drink it before bed. Do not consume this drink on an empty stomach. Soda is quite an aggressive product. If you use the backing soda solution on an empty stomach it can cause irritation of stomach walls and cause disorder of the digestive process. Always follow the recipe. Also excessive amount of soda may cause increased sweating and as a result dehydration.
Important: Do not exceed the amount of backing soda. Baking soda if added in bigger amount will have strong laxative effect.
Treatment of non-productive cough which is caused by an inflammatory disease is based on the goal of turning it into a productive (wet) cough. For this purpose are used all types of expectorants. Better for health and body are natural kinds. Dry cough can be cured with the help of such natural expectorant as bananas. They expand the bronchi, activate the respiratory system and liquefy viscous mucus in such a way speeding up recovery.
The remedy from bananas is not only effective and organic but also very tasty. Bananas will help to get rid of phlegm within one week. Take 2 bananas and squeeze them with the fork. Add 1 cup of boiled water and 2 tablespoons of sugar. This treatment should be divided into portions and consumed three times a day.
Important: Always buy yellow bananas which are ripe. Starch from unripe bananas cannot be digested and causes a lot of gases in the stomach.
Oats is not just an ingredient for cooking oat biscuits and cereals but also an excellent remedy against many diseases. Traditional medicine is using this product widely as a diuretic, diaphoretic and antipyretic and also often it is used for curing cough.
- If you love everything sweet you can prepare remedy with raisins and oats.
- This natural expectorant is prepared as follows: 2 tablespoons of oats and 2 tablespoons of raisins are poured with cold boiled water (1.5 liter).
- The mixture is placed in the oven on low heat until half the liquid will evaporate.
- When prepared mixture will cool you should drain and squeeze it.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey and stir it.
- Consume one tablespoon of this drink 4-5 times a day. Especially try to drink it during coughing attacks.
You can even help with cough by consuming regular cereal with milk. Cook oats in milk and add some honey or sugar to the cereal. These sweet recipes will help with cough, bronchitis and pneumonia. Important: If your treatment is not helping after few days you should consult with doctor. Some cases need medical treatment.
If you or your child is getting sick and struggles with coughing you do not want to use pills and other chemical treatments. Best possible way is to cure wet cough with the help of traditional medicine. Cramp bark contains huge amount of vitamin C. When you eat just 1 berry it equals eating one pill of vitamin C. The only difference is that it is natural product. This is the reason we should use benefits of cramp bark in the fight against colds.
In order to prepare curing drink we need to boil berries of cramp bark for few minutes. Using sieve get rid of hard parts and mix liquid with same amount of honey. Consume 1 teaspoon each time you have coughing attacks. This remedy is one of the quickest in the fight against wet cough.
Important: In order to achieve better results make sure you consume plenty of liquid and there is the necessary level of humidity in your room.