Why do we sometimes suffer from headache without any cause? There is still no accurate scientific information concerning this health issue.
Severe headaches of a periodic nature that are characterized by the appearance in the one part of the head are called migraine. Such pain may move from one part of the head to another one.
The cause of this pain is called autonomic changes in the vessels of the brain. To avoid such a reaction of the body, and not to suffer from headaches, it is important to know the factors of its occurrence. They include stress, depression, lack of fresh air, irritating odor, fatigue, sudden noises and bright light, heredity, and even the consumption of certain products (coffee, cocoa, chocolate, cheese, mustard, mayonnaise, smoked products). These factors may affect the appearance of a migraine attack, when the body is in a weakened state.
As a rule, women after 40 years are more prone to experience this disease. However, it may occur in adolescence and childhood as well. However, it often disappears after puberty.
Unfortunately, there is no one universal remedy that is helpful for the 100% of the cases. Each person chooses an individual recipe that is only able to alleviate the situation in each particular case. Here you will be offered a range of effective remedies which can be prepared at home using natural products and ways to eliminate the symptoms of this unpleasant disease. Follow the step-by-step instructions and find the homemade remedy which will turn out to be helpful for you.
- Remedy for migraine number 1: Compresses
- Remedy for migraine number 2: Mustard bath
- Remedy for migraine number 3: Medicinal Herbs
- Remedy for migraine number 4: Massage
- Remedy for migraine number 5: Alcoholic tinctures
- Remedy for migraine number 6: Raw coffee
- Remedy for migraine number 7: Dandelion, Spinach and Carrot
- Remedy for migraine number 8: Herring for migraine relief
- Remedy for migraine number 9: Tea and coffee
- Remedy for migraine number 10: Propolis
- Remedy for migraine number 11: St. John’s wort herb
- Remedy for migraine number 12: Peony
- Remedy for migraine number 13: Mixture of dried herbs
- Remedy for migraine number 14: Cornflower and common thyme grass
- Remedy for migraine number 15: Essential oils
- Remedy for migraine number 16: Honey
- Remedy for migraine number 17: Clay
- 9 First-Aid Remedies for the Fast Pain Relief in Migraine
Use the simple recipes to fight migraine symptoms with the help of compresses:
- Take fresh cabbage
- Apply its leaf or leaves to the head
In the event of a migraine attack a fresh cabbage leaf may be applied to the patient’s head to the place where you feel pain not less than for 30 minutes.
- Take the lemon rind
- Take hot towel
- Apply both of them to the area you feel headache
Purified lemon rind can be used to eliminate the symptoms of migraine. It needs to be applied to the head with its internal part. The top of the head should be tied with a hot towel. In this case the patient may feel itching and tingling, but headache should go away. Such a method distracting, as opposed to existing pain, a new source of some kind of discomfort is created and both of them disappear completely.
During the summer period for removal and treatment of migraine attacks at home fresh quinoa leaves can be used successfully. To make one compress you will need:
- To take 5-7 plucked leaves of the plant, from which gruel should be made.
- then you need to take a small piece of gauze,
- moisten it with water,
- put the preparation from medicinal plants on it,
- apply to the affected area for 15-20 minutes.
Important: All mentioned remedies can be effective to fight the first signs of migraine but they are not going to treat the causes of your headache.
Even severe headache can be easily removed with the help of the bath for hands and feet adding mustard powder (the same as we prepare while being having a cold). It is very easy to prepare it:
- Take a handful of dry mustard
- Dilute it with water to a state of pulp,
- Then to dip this preparation in a basin of warm water,
- Immerse both hands and feet in the water
Finish the procedure when the limbs’ skin turns red. Wash off the remnants of mustard with warm water and immediately go to bed.
Important: It is also recommended to drink valerian tincture after the bath.
It is well-known that migraine treatment using the medicinal herbs is rather effective. Moreover, it has many other benefits for health. Here you may choose among the most helpful recipes containing useful herbs:
Recipe number 1: Chamomile to fight migraine symptoms
Vasospasm can be relieved with the help of an infusion of chamomile flowers. Prepare it as follows: – Take 2 tablespoons of raw herb
– pour chamomile with 500 ml. boiling water,
– leave the medication for 20 minutes, allowing it to infuse.
Important: When the remedy is ready, drain it and use before meals up to 4 times a day at a dosage of 1/3 cup. Treatment is carried out before the onset of relief.
Recipe number 2: Chamomile tincture for future use
If migraine accompanies you all the time with an enviable frequency, you can prepare an infusion of chamomile for the future. For this it is necessary:
- to leave the composition of chamomile and vodka (1:10) for 10 days in a dark place.
- After this the finished preparation is filtered and taken as a medical therapy.
Important: Take it before meals three times a day. It is recommended to drink 30 drops of the healing tincture and headache should go away.
Recipe number 3: The mixture of herbs: chamomile, peppermint, lavender
In the treatment of migraine it is very common to use an infusion made of medicinal herbs such as:
- chamomile (2 parts)
- lavender flowers (1 part).
For the preparation of the daily dose it is necessary to prepare:
- 500 ml. boiled water
- brew 1 tbsp. of herbs
- filter the mix in 20 minutes,
Important: It should be used before meals 3-4 times a day in the dose of 50 ml, until there is a feeling of relief.
What are the benefits of massage for migraine attack?
Massage of the scalp is an effective method of treatment migraine as it has a positive effect on brain functioning, and the general condition of a person. Massaging procedure may be applied not only to the head region but also on the collar area, where there are important points which are responsible for various processes in the body. The benefits of such massage are listed here:
- improvement of blood circulation;
- normalization of blood pressure;
- elimination of spasms;
- activation of cell regeneration;
- promotion of the renewal of damaged nerve endings;
- the acceleration of metabolic processes;
- pain relief;
- improvement of the brain tissue nutrition.
Important: Massage is effective and useful for many diseases, including migraine. Moreover, you will be able to do it by yourself or to ask one of your family members as it shouldn’t be professional to help in fighting against migraine symptoms.
Technique of massage for migraine
Follow the instructions and repeat each action:
Elbows can be put on the table, do some breathing exercises and begin to massage.
- Massage your head in a circular motion in any direction for a few minutes;
- Then divide your head into several pieces in your thoughts and massage each part separately, as if stretching the skin on it and pressing down a little;
- Divide hair into strands, pull up each in turn till the light pain;
- Walk across the head with the tapping motions of your fingertips;
- Massage the neck, from the occiput to the cheeks,
- Then the face from chin to forehead (do such movements from 10 to 15 times);
- Massage the back of the head for two to three minutes;
- Massage the neck on the shoulder line, passing to the clavicle;
- Pay attention to the neck area of the spine, try to feel it with your fingers, mash them with little effort;
- Rub the forehead carefully, varying the force of impact on it, feel the appeared heat;
Important: Don’t forget to massage the temporal area separately.
Recipe number 1: Tincture of lilacs
The recipe is here:
- Take one liter of alcohol,
- add 100 grams of flowers of lilac (preferably white),
- place everything in a glass container
- leave it in a dark place
- leave it at least for ten days.
Important: When there is an impending migraine attack, it is necessary to put a few drops on a cotton swab and rub in the temporal area. This tincture is intended for an external use.
Recipe number 2: Herbal mixture
In order to improve brain blood circulation use the following plants:
- mountain arnica;
- meadowsweet flowers;
Preparation: Brew them in the dose of one or two tablespoons per cup of boiling water and insist for a few minutes.
Important: It is usually taken in the morning and in the evening at a convenient time for you not depending on your meals.
Remedy for migraine number 6: Raw coffee
In some countries it is believed that such product as raw coffee helps to get rid of migraine symptoms.
The method of application is as follows:
- First, coffee should be dried,
- Then it is pounded,
- The powder is cooked at the rate of fifteen and twenty grams per cup of water.
- Take one tablespoon in the morning
Important: It is recommended to take this remedy for migraines during one month to get the desired result.
For the treatment and prophylaxis of migraine it is recommended to use the mixture of juices of dandelion, spinach and carrot on the daily basis in the ratio 1: 1:3. This means you will need the following proportions of the mixture ingredients:
- one part of spinach juice,
- one portion of dandelion juice
- three parts of the carrot juice.
Important: There is also another variation of ingredients: a cocktail of fresh juice of carrots, spinach and cucumber instead of dandelion which should be taken in equal proportions.
When you experience an attack of migraine that has arisen because of the nervous exhaustion, it is recommended to:
- Take fresh herring of the good quality
- Eat 2 slices
This remedy may seem funny to somebody but it really works.
Important: Don’t drink anything after eating fish for about 15 minutes.
Everybody knows that strong tea and coffee both contain caffeine, which in its turn is able to normalize the circulation and remove the headache for a certain period of time. Use these hints to get the relief from headache:
- Drink one cup of coffee or 1-2 glasses of tea
- Don’t mix drinks with food
- It is better to choose green tea
You can add mint to the glass of tea. The relief is going to take place in 15-20 minutes.
Important: These remedies act like the methods of getting rid of a sudden attack but they are not suitable for treating serious migraine attacks which happen frequently
For the treatment of headache, it is necessary to use the following recipe:
- You should take 20 grams of propolis,
- grind it well
- pour it with 100 ml of alcohol.
Important: It is recommended to take 40 drops in case of having severe migraine attack.
Prepare the infusion of Hypericum or St. John’s wort to get rid of headache.
Follow the instructions here:
- Take 1 tablespoon of the herb
- Take a cup of boiling water
- Drink a third cup before each meal.
Important: It can be taken as often as you experience headache and even every day to prevent its symptoms.
One of very useful remedy is alcohol tincture on peony.
Prepare the recipe based on the peony:
- Take 1 part of crushed rhizome
- 10 parts of vodka
Important: It is recommended to drink this alcohol tincture before each meal drink to fight against migraine symptoms successfully.
Prepare a mixture of dried herbs:
- Take the clover rustling,
- add Rattle (4 parts),
- add the flowers of white lilac (2 parts).
- Two tablespoons of mixture should be brewed with the boiling water (500 ml),
- Then strain the mixture during half an hour
Important: Drink half a cup of this preparation 5-6 times a day and you will forget about severe headache forever.
Make an infusion of a mixture of dried flowers of pink cornflower and lilac with common thyme grass. Follow the recipe:
- Take all components of the mix in equal parts,
- Brew them with boiled water
- Leave this mix to infuse for 60 minutes.
Important: This infusion is recommended to be drunk twice with a break of 30 minutes to 1 hour.
In addition to a pleasant aroma, essential oils have the following health benefits:
- They improve the protective immunity,
- They have beneficial effect on the respiratory system,
- They have analgesic effects.
In the fight with an attack of migraine the most effective oils are:
It is well-known that you can successfully use aromatic liquid obtained from different parts of plants such as cypress, sage, rose, marjoram. To properly apply the oil to get rid of the pain, it is necessary to establish the cause of the sensation, and then to choose one or another method of treatment.
To eliminate the headache, which is the result of a cold or infection of the maxillary breaks the best way to help is to use inhalation with:
- peppermint oil.
Recipes for migraine with essential oils:
Recipe № 1
If the headache is caused by fatigue, it is useful to rub a little lavender oil into your temples. The good effect is achieved if you apply the oil of lavender and mint, mixed in equal proportions. Cold compresses to the forehead, neck and temples have also proven to be effective for migraine relief. Gauze is impregnated with a solution of the following composition:
- 100 ml of water,
- 6 drops of essential oils in the following proportion: lavender – 3 drops, chamomile-2 and lemon-1.
Important: Apply this preparation every time you suffer from the symptoms of migraine and the pain will go away in 20 minutes.
If you suffer from chronic headaches, take aromatic baths with essential oils. The best oils are:
Relief comes, if to rub them into the temples, frontal and occipital part of the head. Prepare the following mixture:
- Take oil of lavender 3 drops
- Add mint -2 drops
- Add sage – 3 drops
Recipe № 3
Headache goes away during a massage of the face, shoulders and back by using:
- lavender oil,
- chamomile oil
- mint oil
Important: The skin is rubbed with a mixture of a teaspoon of olive oil and 3-6 drops of essential oils.
Natural remedies prepared on the basis of honey have proven to be able to perfectly cope with the pain caused by migraine, which is not the result of life-threatening condition and requires immediate medical intervention.
There are some recommendations how to use the healing properties of honey:
- If headaches are chronic, eat a half of teaspoon of honey before eating.
- It is useful for the day to take a mixture of honey with a snowball (no more than one tablespoon 4 times). The maximal effect of this treatment can appear in 3-4 weeks.
- In severe pain, add honey to the infusion of elder flowers.
The proportions of the brew:
- a tablespoon of raw material per 250 ml of boiling water
- drink a quarter of a cup before meals.
Prepare a therapeutic cocktail of:
- dry red wine,
- honey (2 parts)
- aloe juice (1 part).
It is recommended to take small doses of this agent three times throughout the day.
When you suffer from migraine, it is possible to add honey and apple cider vinegar (1 teaspoon) to your food while having dinner. It is better to dissolve the mentioned components in a glass of boiled water.
Important: Do not forget that honey is an effective means of prevention of cerebral blood flow, because headache can often signal about the stroke. A small amount of healing sugary food can prevent the terrible disease. Daily rate for an adult ranges from 60 to 100 grams of honey.
Clay is an ancient natural remedy for the treatment of many diseases as it has many advantages, including the ability to help in preventing the short term pain.
Prepare the following medication:
- Put 150 grams of clay in the enamel bowl,
- add a quarter cup of warm water
- stir until smooth.
Gauze coated with this mixture (the layer thickness of 5 mm) should be placed on the frontal part of the head from temple to temple. This poultice should be left on your head for about 15-20 minutes.
Important: The procedure should be repeated daily at bedtime for a month.
- Cut the onion in half and apply its halves to the temples. Secure the bandage. Headache will leave very quickly. Instead of an onion you can take the lilac leaves.
- Once you feel the familiar warning signs of migraines, drink juice of grated raw potatoes (¼ cup).
- Mix equal quantities of alcohol camphor and ammonia, breathe the finished vapor solution.
- Break a fresh egg and fill it with a glass of hot milk. Stir and drink at the beginning of the migraine
- Baking soda (1 tbsp.) is dissolved in water (1 liter). It should be added to the camphor alcohol, dissolved in ammonia (100 g of alcohol, 10 g of ammonia). Shake it for about ten minutes, then stir a teaspoon of the solution in water (150 ml) and drink.
- The freshly squeezed juice (beetroot or onion) may be placed in your ears using wet cotton
- Eat an apple fasting, add salt to it.
- Lilac ointment. Judging by the numerous reviews, this ointment is one of the best remedies for migraine. We need pork lard and young buds of lilac bushes. The buds should be minced and the juice is squeeze from them. Add the lard (on the part of the juice 4 parts of lard). Stir The ointment is prepared. This means is used to lubricate the forehead and temples when the first symptoms of a migraine appear. Half an hour later the pain is going to disappear.
- Copper Coin. Copper is a metal which has the property to take the pain to itself. Therefore, it would be easy to take the copper coins and attach to the part of the head where you feel pain. Wait for 15-20 minutes and the pain will go away.