Even if you brush your teeth twice a day and visit dentist regularly you might have bad breath. It is difficult to test yourself but you can try to do it. As soon as you realize that you have bad breath you want to know how to get rid of it. Unfortunately unpleasant smell from mouth causes many complexes. If you have it you might try to talk less, feel shy to kiss, cover your mouth when talk or laugh. Good to know that there are plenty of home remedies which will quickly and successfully solve this problem.
We will here discuss how to get rid of bad breath which appears constantly no matter what was the cause of it (digestive problems or even yesterday’s dinner). We will see which home remedies are best in the fight with this problem.
- The first remedy: Brush teeth properly
- The second remedy: Chew some spices
- The third remedy: Consume more water
- The fourth remedy: Tea treatment
- The fifth remedy: Greens
- The sixth remedy: Drink yogurt
- The seventh remedy: Use mouthwash
The most common cause of bad breath is food which is staying in-between teeth and starting to smell. Common situation is that we do not know that we have this problem and friends and family are just embarrassed to say truth. If you think that you might have bad breath situation you should check it using one of these quick methods.
How to test if you have bad breath
- Clean your teeth using dental floss and smell the floss after cleaning. If you feel bad smell of spoiled food this is the sign of bad breath.
- Breathe into your palm and smell it. If you can feel bad breath you should definitely start treating it.
- Wipe your tongue with cotton pad and smell it. When you are wiping try to collect some saliva from inside cheeks and further parts of tongue. If you can smell from the cotton pad strong smell that means you are having bad breath.
Cleaning teeth is first and main step in fight against bad breath. Very important is to clean teeth properly. Usually doctors advise to brush teeth twice a day. However the best possible way to clean teeth is after each meal. There is nothing embarrassing in having tooth brush and tooth paste at work or having it in your handbag every day. Very important is to clean teeth correctly.
How to clean teeth with brush
- Clean outer surfaces of teeth. Make short movements with brush. Don’t forget about back teeth.
- We usually forget to clean chewing surfaces. Always clean them with back and forth movements.
- Continue with inner surface of front teeth and all the rest. Gently move brush.
- Don’t forget to clean the whole surface of each tooth till gum line.
- Brush your tongue.
If you will carefully clean your teeth regularly you will eliminate bacteria and freshen breath. Bacteria on the teeth, between them and on the tongue is causing bad smell. If bacteria is not removed it grows very quickly. Always use dental floss.
Advice: Don’t forget to change your toothbrush regularly. Always listen to your dentist advice on type of toothbrush you need.
Some spices are natural powerful antiseptics. Often we do not know that our kitchen is full of tools which can help with bad breath. Fennel seeds and cinnamon sticks can be used as natural antibacterial gum. First of all such chewing gum is very healthy as it is sugar free. Second of all effect from this chewing gum stays much longer. Chewing in general stimulates production of saliva. It is very good as it helps to wash off bacteria from tongue and teeth. It is recommended to chew such natural gum for not longer than 10 minutes.
How to prepare clove infusion
- Combination of clove and cinnamon will quickly solve problem with annoying smell.
- Take 4 cloves and 2 tablespoons of cinnamon.
- Pour spices with 250 ml of boiling water.
- Leave it on small heat for 5 minutes.
- The mixture should stay for 20 minutes. It will get cool and spices will give all the benefits to the liquid.
- Strain the infusion and drink it.
Fresh breath after such drink will immediately come and stay for very long. These spices should be always in your kitchen especially if you are often having problem with bad breath.
Advice: If you do not have free time for preparation of infusion you can just grab few grains of cardamom and chew them. Don’t swallow this spice.
This is not a new idea that we should consume a lot of water. However we always forget and often instead of water consume 5 cups of coffee a day or some fizzy drinks. Our body needs clean water for production of saliva. You probably noticed that bad breath is the worst in the early morning. The reason of this situation is that salivary glands are working in power saving mode during the night and mouth is quite dry in the morning. In order to turn on salivary glands and wash off all the bacteria we should drink glass of water. Glass of water every morning will improve situation with smell a lot.
- This home remedy is for the occasions when bad breath occurs because of stomach problems.
- Dissolve tablespoon of salt in 500 ml of water.
- Drink this salty water in the morning as soon as you wake up.
- In few minutes grab some dairy products. Otherwise your stomach will feel very unpleasant.
- The salt will cleanse the stomach walls and eliminate toxins from intestines.
After such remedy you will forget about smell. It is recommended to repeat such procedure 5 days in a row. Not only salty water can eliminate problem with the smell. Prepare melted water and you will be surprised how this remedy is good. Pour into plastic bottle clean water and freeze in the freezer. Than
unfreeze and consume every morning. Such water improves exchange of the water in your body and cleanses pathogenic bacteria which causes smell.
Advice: Salty water remedy is contraindicated for people with gastritis or other diseases of gastrointestinal tract.
You might think that tea is causing bad breath. However microbiologists from the University of Illinois proved that black and green tea actually can slow down the growth of pathogenic flora in the oral cavity due to the components they have. Furthermore green tea contains substances promoting development of saliva. And this is exactly what we need! Just do not add sugar to the tea. Unfortunately the bacteria are extremely fond of sugar. This is a happy news for everyone who loves tea (unsweetened).
Prepare peppermint tea
- This tea will solve the problem with the smell if it is caused by digestive system.
- Buy dry peppermint leaves in the pharmacy.
- 1 tablespoon of dried peppermint leaves (2 tablespoons if you are using fresh leaves) pour with 250 ml of boiling water.
- If you are using dry leaves your drink is ready immediately. In case you are using fresh peppermint leaves wait for 10 minutes until peppermint will give all the curing properties to the drink.
- If you do not like the taste of such tea (especially since it is without sugar) you can use this tea for rinsing your mouth.
All these types of tea are very powerful home remedies. However, remember that tea is natural diuretic. Also consumption of tea can cause dry mouth. If you notice dry mouth feeling you should increase amount of water you drink during the day.
Advice: It is recommended to give up on coffee. Coffee changes the level of acidity in the mouth and the bacteria are beginning to create so-called “coffee breath”.
How often we are facing the horrible and very unpleasant situation when we just ate some garlic or onions and immediately we need to have an important meeting or appointment. Unfortunately there are situations when we are not able to postpone everything and we need quick and working remedy against bad breath. It is absolutely miraculous if you have on hand some parsley or basil.
The smell form garlic and onions is so strong because of more than 30 different sulfur compounds which are absorbed into blood (as soon as we consume them) and released when we exhale. Thanks to polyphenols (substances in which are acting as antioxidants) these herbs destroy sulfur compounds. If you know this information you can use it in your kitchen and combine garlic, parsley and basil in one dish.
Which greens will help
Vegetables and fresh green leaves neutralize bad smell. So it is enough to chew lettuce or 10-15 small branches of parsley and you will regain your fresh breath. Greens are full of oils and this makes them so powerful home remedy against bad breath.
Advice: In some dishes combination of garlic and parsley will not guarantee the absence of smell. For excellent result keep some fresh greens on the table.
Japanese researches after careful and long investigation proved that regular (every day) consumption of yogurt and similar dairy products can significantly improve the bad breath situation. They investigated that bacteria which is contained in huge amounts in yogurt can eliminate harmful microorganisms from oral cavity. And in such a way glass of yogurt a day reduces a lot of changes of having bad breath.
Other recent research has shown that 200 ml of unsweetened yogurt a day reduces a number of bacteria causing the smell of hydrogen sulfide in the mouth. The same study shown that people regularly drinking yogurt reduce accumulation of plaque. Thus if you will introduce yogurt into your everyday diet you will decrease changes of having dental problems.
Advice: Chose yogurt which contains no sugar. Sweet components increase growth of bacteria which causes bad breath.
If you brush your teeth regularly and use floss and it is not enough for your breath to be fresh in the morning you should definitely start using mouthwash. Mouthwash rinses bacteria from your gums, teeth and mouth much better than chewing gum or mint candy. In order to achieve best result it is recommended to rinse mouth for 30 seconds and avoid food (or drinks) for 30 minutes.
If you are concerned about quality and ingredients of mouthwash from the drugstore you can always prepare your own mouthwash at home. Just dissolve some baking soda in half glass of warm water and your mouthwash is ready.
Advice: You can also brush your teeth with the mixture of baking soda and toothpaste and eliminate even more bacteria from your mouth.