Good sleep is the key to a good and productive day. People who have enough of sleep can never be angry, irritable or distracted during the day. Such people are usually quite the opposite and they are able to concentrate easily, enjoy work and most important are not distracted by the desire to “close eyes for just a minute.”
If you have sleep problems you should know that there are several effective ways to improve process of falling asleep and sleep together with overcoming insomnia. We will concentrate only on working natural methods and rules which can help with sleep problems. As you know there are plenty of medicines but unfortunately almost all of them are causing addictions and we do not need it at all. Let’s be healthy and sleep properly with the help of natural remedies known for ages.
- The first method: Simple rules to solve sleep problems
- The second method: Honey
- The third method: Take a bath
- The fourth method: Herbal pillow
- The fifth method: Electroencephalogram music
Usually it is enough to have a routine and smart schedule in order to have healthy sleep every day. Sleeping well is very important. Sleep influences everything in our life. Without proper and enough of sleep we basically cannot do anything: we cannot work, be active, we lose time and health. There is no need to go to pharmacy as soon as you noticed few sleepless nights. You can normalize your regime by following simple rules.
How to make yourself sleepy naturally:
- Take a walk before going to bed. Make sure that air is fresh (better have a walk in the park or in the garden; such places are more recommended than a walk along the street). Walking during one hour will make you a bit tired and sleepy.
- Find your own comfortable position and relax completely. Usually it is recommended to sleep on the back with your hands and legs relaxed along your body. But everyone is individual so search for the best your personal position.
- Dinner should be scheduled not later than 2-3 hours before bedtime. Also you should eat for dinner only light food. Do not eat a lot even if you missed lunch. Try to eat vegetables or fruits.
- Consume one glass of warm milk with the teaspoon of honey. Honey should be dissolved in the milk. This drink incredibly calms down whole body.
- Ventilate your bedroom properly and always turn off the light. Do not leave even small lamp as it is disturbing eyes and brain. Let your body to be completely relaxed.
Pay attention to your mattress. Doctors recommend medium hardness of the mattress. On the very soft one it is very difficult to relax muscles and on the hard one we will be disturbed all the time. Make sure that your bed sheets are made from natural materials as well as mattress.
Common mistakes which lead to sleep problems:
- Watching negative and aggressive movies or TV series can disturb our brain. After such stressful and negative information usually we cannot sleep at all.
- Sheets for bed cannot be of aggressive colors. Usually very bright colors as red or orange are preventing calmness to appear in our bedroom.
- Overthinking insomnia and being stressed because of problems with sleep during other nights will definitely not help you to relax. Think of something calm and picture yourself on vacation with people you love.
- Don’t sleep during the day. Such short nap can actually cause the insomnia for some people. Go to sleep at the same time every day and never push yourself in trying to sleep if you are disturbed.
- Avoid intensive exercise before going to bed. After heavy sport activity our body needs 2-3 hours to get calm. That is why only calm activities are recommended before sleep such as walking.
Best way to go to sleep is to relax and listen to your body. Usually we forget about fact that our body is always telling us what is wrong. If you feel cold in feet you just wear socks. If you feel thirsty you should stand up and have a glass of water. Don’t be afraid of standing up and going to bed again as sometimes we will not fall asleep without it.
Warning: Never drink alcohol before going to bed. Some recommend alcohol as a sleep remedy but you should never agree to that. Alcohol can help you to fall asleep but it can also cause morning headaches, fatigue and decreased performance during the day. All these symptoms can cause insomnia.
Night is the best time and most productive time of the day for having rest. Our body needs to have rest every day. Doctors recommend having 7.5 – 8 hours of sleep every day. Usually kids should have more sleep and adults are recommended to have sleep regularly. Proper amount of sleep provides us with good mood and perfect health. We can actually improve our sleep using honey as a treatment.
Honey with the lemon as remedy for insomnia:
- We will need to mix 1 tablespoon of honey with 1 tablespoon of mineral water and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Dissolve all the ingredients and consume every day in the morning before breakfast.
This remedy should be implemented for one month. It is improving your overall feeling and calming down nervous system.
Honey and walnut against insomnia:
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey and dissolve honey completely in the juice.
- Crush 2 tablespoons of walnut and mix it with the lemon juice and honey.
- Consume 1 tablespoon of this full of vitamins treatment before bed.
Combination of ingredients calms down our nervous system and we are feeling better and ready to sleep after such a snack.
Honey and yogurt remedy against insomnia:
- Buy yogurt without adding. Simple or even homemade yogurt is the best for this remedy.
- Mix properly 1 tablespoon of honey (raw natural honey is better) with 1 cup of yogurt.
- Consume the drink before sleep.
This remedy can be consumed every day. Honey is harmless as well as yogurt. Digestion is improving together with sleep. In the morning as soon as you will wake up you can consume 1 teaspoon of honey with glass of water. This is great start of the day.
Apple cider vinegar and honey against insomnia:
- 3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar should be dissolved in the cup of natural honey.
- Consume 2 teaspoons of the mixture before sleep.
- You will fall asleep within half an hour after consuming the mixture.
- Honey is good relaxing remedy and together with apple cider vinegar it becomes perfect treatment against insomnia.
Try this remedy instead of your usual sleeping pills. When we feel weakness and cannot sleep in the middle of the night this remedy is perfect solution. It will take you 3 minutes to prepare but it is natural and has no side effects.
Warning: Unfortunately some people are allergic to honey. In case of any strange feelings stop using these remedies. Do not consume too much of honey before being sure you do not have allergies.
Some people believe that water is washing off the problems and negative information from your body so they recommend having a bath every evening before going to bed. Even without any trust to this theory we do agree that water is having its miraculous effect on our body and can help us to solve some issues with sleep.
Warm bath against insomnia:
- Using thermometer make sure that temperature is not exceeding 37-38 degrees Celsius.
- Take a bath either before meal or 2 hours after having a meal. Best timing is two hours after the dinner and before you go to bed.
- Time of the procedure should not exceed 20-25 minutes.
This simple remedy will immediately relax your muscles and your overall feeling will be completely different after the bath. Try taking a bath with few drops of your favorite essential oils (lavender or citrus oils will immediately change your mood and prevent you from being worrying).
Quick sitting bath against sleeping problems:
- It is really quick as it will take just 2-4 minutes.
- Take a sit in the bathtub in the warm water for 2-4 minutes.
- This remedy is believed to be the quickest solution for getting yourself sleepy.
You can decide on having this bath even all of a sudden when you are already in the bed and you are struggling with falling asleep. Make sure that you are relaxed and just stay in the water without any activity such as washing yourself or brushing teeth.
Herbs bath against insomnia:
- Very good and highly recommended remedy is a bath with herbs. Such herbs are usually sold in the pharmacy or on the market (chamomile or lavender can be used for such bath).
- 100-200 grams of herbs are poured with three liter of boiling water and left for few hours to stay.
- Water is strained and added into the warm bathtub (temperature should not be more than 37-38 degrees Celsius).
Take such bath for 15 minutes and this remedy will make you relaxed and sleepy. This is aromatherapy technique which is great treatment for our problem.
Foot bath for better sleep:
- Two most common recipes are used for foot bath: baking soda and pine.
- Baking soda is dissolved in water in the amount 1 teaspoon for 2 liters of water.
- Pine branches are used (1.5 kg with needles and cones) chopped, poured with 5 liters of water and boiled for 30 minutes. After boiling pine branches are left to stay in the water for 10-12 hours. Strained pine branches water is used for foot bath in the amount 300 grams for one procedure.
Such bath is great treatment not only for sleep improvement but also for skin diseases, rheumatism, asthma, lung diseases and it is additionally strengthening heart and nervous system. Bath remedy is perfect for workaholics as it is recovering those who overworked and in the morning you are ready to work again.
Warning: When you lay in the bath it is recommended not to cover the heart area with the water. People with heart diseases should consider skipping this remedy at all or try it only after doctor’s approval.
Insomnia can be easily solved with the help of herbal pillow. List of herbs which can be used for pillow includes plants, regulating the activity of the heart (peppermint, lemon balm, geranium), promotes relaxation of muscles (wormwood, sweet clover and daisy), improves the function of the bronchi (birch leaf, eucalyptus leaves and rosemary) and relieves fatigue (flowers of tansy, chamomile and yarrow). Let’s observe one of each type of herbs.
Peppermint pillow for better sleep:
- Peppermint improves heart and brain activity, helps to get rid of stress and depression.
- Additionally peppermint is helping to remove unnecessary excitement.
- Pillow with peppermint (small pillow full of peppermint leaves inside or near your pillow) is useful for hypertensive patients. It is used even for prevention of myocardial infarction.
- Peppermint freshly cut branches in the vase will fill the room with delicate aroma. They will clean the germs and will give positive impact on your immune system.
- It is even recommended to plant a peppermint in a pot and keep the plant in the room. In such a way your room will be full of healthy and fresh energy all year long.
It is recommended to gather leaves of mint during late June-September, preferably in the morning. In case you do not have your own garden you can simply buy dried leaves in the nearest pharmacy.
Birth leaves help for better sleep:
- Well known that birch have antibacterial properties. Additionally birch leaves are strengthening immune system and help us to go to sleep calm and healthy.
- Pillow with birch leaves near your pillow will prevent you from colds and headaches.
- The best time for gathering birch leaves is May.
Pillow with herbs can be used for 2-2.5 month. When time will pass filling can be replaced by fresh herbs. Usually cotton bags are used for herbal pillows. Size is up to you as well as color and fabric choice.
Chamomile helps to fall asleep naturally:
- Chamomile is known as an herb helping with insomnia, depression, colds and headaches.
- Chamomile is usually used because of its antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
- Best chamomile is gathered during May-July.
Unfortunately chamomile has a lot of contraindications: schizophrenia, mental disorders, pregnancy, heavy and painful menstruation, inflammation of the bladder and kidneys.
Warning: Be extremely careful with herbs during pregnancy. Most of them are not recommended to be used for pregnant. Even chamomile requires careful usage as it causes headache, coughing and muscle tone if overdosed.
Listening to music by the patients actually can help with sleeping problems. Clinics nowadays have an interesting solution for sleep problems. Electroencephalogram of the patient is turned into music using special methods with the help of computer processing on the basis of number of special algorithms. Such algorithms are changing the functional state of healthy or sick person.
Brain music against insomnia:
- Efficiency of the brain music method is around 80%.
- Method of brain music is used for more than 25 years now and helped more than 5000 people to solve insomnia problems.
You can try and use music as a method of relaxation as well. Try classical music or any music which makes you relaxed.
Warning: Brain music is not just any music but special music created on the basis of personal brain activity of each patient. This is interesting and natural technique affordable on the market now.