Mosquitoes are constant companions of heat and moisture. The most comfortable for them temperature is approximately 16 Degrees (Celsius) and humidity around 80-90 %. As temperature is reaching above 28 degrees (Celsius) their activity slows down. This is the reason why we experience unpleasant unfriendly behavior of mosquitoes in the summer and usually near the water.
As soon as mosquito bites you saliva gets inside and helps insect to drink your blood in the amount it wants and quite quickly. Mosquito bite is bringing complex of symptoms: burning, itching and blisters. Symptoms stay up to few days and even more in case we scratch wounds and bring infection in it. We struggle because we do not know rules and remedies which can help immediately and safe us from infection and wounds. Let’s see what we can do to save our skin and react helpful to the mosquito bite.
- The first method: Baking soda
- The second method: Garlic and onion
- The third method: Pharmacy options
- The fourth method: Cold water and ice
- The fifth method: Essential oils
- Prevent further attacks of mosquitos
First our reaction as soon as we got bitten is scratching. Scratching is bringing irritation more and more and it does not help at all, more that that is brings prolongation of our struggling. In case you were bitten and you feel itching you should try as much as you can and do not scratch. Very powerful remedy against circumstances of mosquito bites is baking soda and water.
Water with baking soda:
- Take one teaspoon of baking soda.
- Prepare one coffee cup of clear water.
- Mix baking soda in the water.
- Take a cotton ball and soak it into the baking soda and water liquid.
- Continue nonstop moves with wet cotton ball on the bites for 20-25 minutes.
- This remedy should be used 3-4 times a day in case you want to get rid of the mosquito bites quickly.
This remedy is helping to get rid of itching and painful feeling from the bite. Baking soda can be also used as a paste and for some of us it will help even better.
Baking soda paste:
- Take 3 teaspoons of baking soda.
- Add a bit of water in order to make baking soda wet and prepare a paste. It should be approximately one or one and a half of teaspoon of water.
- Take paste and put it on the spots where you were bitten.
- Wait till paste will dry and remove baking soda.
- This procedure can be used few times a day.
This paste will reveal your skin from itching feeling and help to reduce inflammatory process. Ingredients are cheap but it does not mean that they are not working or working not enough. Baking soda is exactly what we need against itching and pain. Wait for the result at least few days. Bites will disappear.
Warning: In case you were bitten in face you should be very careful when implementing this remedy. Especially be careful with using this remedy for child. Make sure you removed all baking soda from the skin.
Let’s investigate how to get rid of mosquito bites using food. Food against our itching issue sounds strange but it is not a joke. Both garlic and onion have in them oils and vitamins which help to stop itching and irritating reaction after the bite. Garlic is used so long as a homemade remedy against bites that is almost became traditional now.
- Take 1 clove of garlic and peel it.
- Squeeze it with garlic press.
- Add a bit of water to the garlic in order to get wet garlic paste.
- Take a piece of fabric and soak it in paste from garlic.
- Put such wet fabric on the spot where you were bitten by mosquito.
Implement this paste for five minutes. Garlic very quickly gives you results. Wound will become smaller and pain with itching will disappear very soon. Other method, onion remedy, is also easy to implement.
- Pill one small or medium size onion (amount should be twice less than amount of bites you have).
- Cut it in half and put each on the spot where you have been bitten by mosquito.
- Take a bondage or piece of fabric and tie onion to the spot.
This ingredient is working so good that there is one more option how we can implement it if we want to get rid of mosquito bites. Onion juice can be also used as a homemade solution against wounds and redness.
- Squeeze half of the onion into the glass bowl.
- Take piece of fabric and soak it in the onion juice.
- Implement juice on the spots with redness.
Onion is full of vitamins and is recommended to be included into diet. Onion as well as garlic should be also in our diet to help out immunity to fight with infections and bacteria.
Warning: Hands after this remedy can smell two days. You better use rubber gloves while implementing this method. It is not a secret that both garlic and onion have strong components and should be used carefully. Garlic can even cause skin burns if it will stay too long.
When it comes to pharmacy options we should be extremely careful. Before implementing any of the options really carefully read all the description and restrictions for the drug. Also it is recommended to consult with your doctor if you can or cannot use this or another pharmacy option. In case you checked everything and you are sure it will cure your skin and not make you more harm these are possible options.
Solutions from pharmacy:
- Buy alcohol in the pharmacy or tissues soaked in alcohol and wipe spots where you were bitten. In case you do not have alcohol right now you can use instead of it your perfume. It will also help to stop itching as it contains a lot of alcohol.
- Make compress with alcohol. Take 1 part of alcohol and 3 parts of water. Mix it all together and implement wet from this mixture piece of fabric on the itching area. Compress should stay 10-15 minutes. It will be more effective if will be used for the fresh or new bite.
- In case you have toothpaste with peppermint, eucalypt or menthol you can cover itching spots with it, wait till it will dry and wash it off with water.
- Buy simple aspirin. Crush one pill of aspirin into powder and mix it with the water until you will get paste looking substance. Implement paste on the mosquito bite. Do not use this remedy if you are allergic to aspirin.
- In case you have some cream against sunburns it can be also helpful for us. Take some cream and use it for painful and itching places. It will reduce inflammation a lot.
- If you are aware that you are regularly struggling from mosquitoes you should always have in your home pharmacy antihistamine cream or lotion. Especially helpful are creams containing few elements at the same time: corticosteroids, antihistamines and painkillers.
Warning: Before using any of these methods ask your doctor. Keep in mind that pharmacy solutions sometimes can cause more problems than help.
As soon as you feel you where bitten you can help yourself using simplest solution. Even though it is just water you will be surprised how helpful it will be for you. First help will include reducing itching and painful feeling which brings us provocation to scratch the bite.
Wash the bite:
- Take a soap and warm water.
- Wash carefully the spot in order to get rid of bacteria and prevent infection.
- Wipe your skin with a clean towel.
This step is the must. We should pay attention to the fact that skin should be clean and not infected.
- Take a piece of fabric or clean tissue.
- Wipe it in the cold or icy cold water.
- Implement such compress on the bite for 10 minutes.
- Repeat procedure every hour as long as you will continue filling pain.
Cold is helping to relieve itching and prevent spot from swelling. In case you do not have fabric or tissue you can even take a bottle of cold water and use the bottle to solve the pain. Just press bottle to the itching areas.
- Prepare ice cubes in the fridge.
- Take a fabric or tissue. Make sure it is clean.
- Wrap ice cubes in a wet fabric and implement on the itching spots.
- Keep such compress on the painful place up to 20 minutes.
In case you do not have ready ice cubes and you cannot wait for them you can take frozen vegetables or beans and wrap them in the fabric.
Warning: In case you feel that after using all possible remedies the spot is getting worse. If pain is not reduced and swelling is progressing you should go to the doctor next day. Do not play with your health.
Every time you struggle searching for the solution how to get rid of mosquito bites you should remember that essential oils are there for you. Essential oils are often used in beauty homemade recipes. They are easy to find and buy in any city. Let’s investigate what we can use from essential oils to heal our itching skin.
- Add 2-5 tablespoons of warm water in the aroma lamp.
- Add essential oils (amount should be different according to the type of oil you will use).
- Put candle in the bottom part of the aroma lamp.
- During the procedure you should sit in the room where aroma lamp is working.
- Procedure should be repeated one or two times per day.
- Duration of the procedure from 30 minutes to one and a half hours.
You can buy aroma lamp in any shop where essential oils are sold. It is not expensive and will be working you for many years.
Amount of the essential oils for aroma lamp:
- Eucalyptus 4-7 drops per 15 m2
- Tea Tree 3-5 drops per 15 m2
- Lemon 5-8 drops per 15 m2
- Melissa 4-6 drops per 15 m2
Essential oils are working even without putting them directly on the skin. Through your lungs absorption of essential oils is happening and they get into your blood.
- Prepare warm bath full of water.
- Take a bowl and mix in it half liter of the water with 1-2 tablespoons of sea salt and few tablespoons of honey.
- Add essential oils in the amount listed below.
- Add water with salt, honey and essential oils into the bath.
- Take such bath for 10-20 minutes.
In case you do not like sea salt or honey you can use simple bubble bath with essential oils.
Amount of the essential oils for aroma bath:
- Eucalyptus 4-7 drops for bath
- Tea Tree 3-5 drops for bath
- Melissa 2-5 drops for bath
Such aroma bath with make you calm. You will forget that your skin is itchy. If you will have aroma bath once a week you will change your overall mood for more calm and stress less. Essential oils will help your skin to heal sooner.
Essential oils compress
What you will need:
- Cooking oil (or better olive oil).
- Glass bowl.
- Essential oils (Eucalyptus 5-10 drops, Melisa 3-5 drops or Tea tree 3-5 drops).
- Fabric or tissue.
- Plastic for cooking.
Prepare the spot where we will use the compress. Make sure that your clothes or furniture will not touch compress as it is in oil and it will be a challenge to wash it off.
How to make a compress:
- Mix essential oil which you decided to use with 10 milliliters of oil.
- Cover skin where mosquito bitten you with mixture of oils.
- Put piece of plastic for food on the top.
- Fixate everything with fabric.
- Leave such compress on the skin for 30-60 minutes.
Result will be visible after very fist implementing. It is reducing inflammation and swelling a lot. Itching feeling will disappear at least for few hours.
Warning: This remedy can be also used for kids. In case you are trying to heal your child make sure kid will not drink or put essential oils on his skin directly. Before using any of essential oils test your skin on allergy. Test is simple and can be done at home. Put one drop of essential oil on the skin inside the inside part of elbow and observe reaction for one day.
Interesting fact is that mosquitos are actually attracted not by light as a lot of us think. Instead of light they are attracted by exhaled carbon dioxide, smell created by humans. More than that extremely attracting for mosquito happened to be sweaty people.
In case you are bitten already and you want to prevent further struggling you can use next few rules and avoid all the circumstances of irritation, burning feeling and itching.
- Use essential oils. Put few drops even into the fire in case you are on the picnic with friends (you can put it on any hot surface, even on frying pan). Aroma will spread all over around you and you will be saved.
- Use plants which keep mosquito away: chamomile, basil or tomato leaves. You can plant them on your balcony and you will get rid of annoying visits whole season.
- Smell of burned pine is extremely distracting for mosquitos. Keep that in mind when you are spending time near the fire somewhere near the river in summer.
- Going for a walk in the evening near the river or lake dress properly. Avoid yellow or white color of clothes and cover your skin as much as possible.