After reading this article you will find out how to get rid of heartburn fast. But first of all let’s answer the question what it is and what causes this unpleasant feeling of burning and heat in the epigastric and chest area. It is known that the reason is the penetration of products of the stomach secretion into the esophagus. It is called heartburn. The heartburn has been known for a long time and that’s why traditional medicine has developed a great choice of different ways how to get rid of it.
10 main reasons of the heartburn:
- lack of chewing food
- having meal 2-3 hours before bedtime
- eating much spicy or fatty foods
- being overweight
- drinking alcohol, carbonated beverages, coffee, strong tea
- smoking as it stimulates the production of stomach acid and relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter
- eating large quantities of citrus, mint, chocolate
- tight clothing pressing on the abdomen
- physical activity after ingestion
There are a lot of methods how to get rid of heartburn at home without going anywhere. For example, you can use salt, freshly squeezed juices, mineral water, absorbent carbon. Such products as honey and apples are famous for their healing properties. You must have heard about an efficacy of seeds, grain buckwheat and peas. However, there are some methods that can provide you with the relief of heartburn symptoms but you should use them with caution. They are the following: soda, ash of cigarettes. But each of them can help with a sharp fit of sickness, that’s why you are offered to read the more detailed information about the method of influence of each method here.
- Home remedy from heartburn number 1: Fresh juices
- Home remedy from heartburn number 2: Potato juice
- Home remedy from heartburn number 3: Herbs
- Home remedy from heartburn number 4: Sodium bicarbonate
- Home remedy from heartburn number 5: Seeds
- Home remedy from heartburn number 6: Activated carbon
- Home remedy from heartburn number 7: Honey
- Home remedy from heartburn number 8: Buckwheat
- Home remedy from heartburn number 9: Peas
- Home remedy from heartburn number 10: Cranberry
- Home remedy from heartburn number 11: Mineral water
- Home remedy from heartburn number 12: Salt
- Home remedy from heartburn number 13: Mumiyo
- Home remedy from heartburn number 14: Almonds
- Home remedy from heartburn number 15: Apple cider vinegar
To help you in getting rid of heartburn symptoms as well as getting beneficial effects on your body you can use fresh vegetable juices. You can drink them separately or prepare some mixes. What vegetables can be used effectively?
Drink 2-3 tablespoons as a preventive treatment of any problems with the digestive system as these vegetable juices have a prophylactic effect and can help you to cope with heartburn as well.
Important: It is recommended to take this remedy before having a meal.
Potato juice is one of the most effective remedy to get rid of the heartburn fast! When you take it internally it removes unpleasant burning symptoms. Besides this, fresh potato juice can improve the general condition of gastritis with high acidity, which is often the main cause of the heartburn. It is well-known that pregnant women face the problem with the heartburn very often, especially during the last trimester. As they need only safe natural ways to get rid of the problem, this variant is the best possible choice.
Potato juice should be cooked just before its use:
- Take 3 large tuber
- Wash them properly
- Remove eyelets
- Peel potatoes if you wish
- Grate it
- The resulting mass should be placed in the gauze folded in several layers.
Remember that fresh juice contains a lot of starch. That’s why it is better to let it stay for about 3 minutes. Drink the potato juice separately or mix it with some other juices to make it more delicious if you like.
As for the use, 1 cup before having a meal will be enough to help you to get rid of the frequent cases of the heartburn. It is recommended to rest during 30 min and you are allowed to have your breakfast in one hour. The treatment course lasts for 10 days after which you need to make a brake.. The whole treatment course includes 3 repetitions of the course, but you are going to feel a significant improvement just in a few days.
Important: The people who have any form of the diabetes should choose another way to get rid of the heartburn. You mustn’t exceed the duration of this therapy, as it may cause problems with the pancreas if you drink it for a long period of time.
In folk medicine there is a large collection of receipts which can help you to get rid of heartburn fast. They are herbal teas, infusions and decoctions of medicinal plants. There are several recipes using herbs:
1. The root of sweet flag
It is not recommended to chew due to possible side effect like vomiting. That’s why it is better to spend more time and to pound piece of the root of marsh plants to the pulverized condition and drink some water. This remedy is really instant!
Important: There some restrictions of using this if you have problems with kidneys. However, there is no information about the side effects after taking the small doses.
Chamomile is famous for its ability to decrease the stomach’s acidity. The recipe is the following:
- Take 3 tablespoons of dry grass
- Take a glass of the boiling water
- Let this mix stay for about 20 minutes
- Drink it slowly.
Important: It is necessary to drink 3 cups per day during 3 weeks.
- Take a tablespoon of dried and crushed cottonweed
- Take the boiled water,
- Cover, wrap up and let it stay in the warm place more than 2 hours.
Important: Take this remedy 5 times per day to get a result.
4. The seeds and leaves of the forest angelica
Crush it using grinder and brew the resulting powder just like ordinary tea.
Important: Drink 3 times a day.
5. chamomile flowers, dried plantain leaves and hypericum.
Take all three herbs and mix them. You should pour it with the boiled water and let it stay for 2 hours in the warm place. The mixture should be before meals 5 times per day.
Important: You can enhance the effect of this remedy by taking a teaspoon of honey before it.
What is special about this remedy? The most important benefit here is that it is always at hand as it is available in every kitchen as this is the usual baking soda! It is commonly used to neutralize the burning sensation.
The recipe of the aqueous soda solution is very simple:
- take a quarter or a half of a teaspoon of soda
- stir it in a glass of warm water.
Drink the mix you have slowly and not till the end leaving the remains. To achieve the effect more quickly, it is necessary to lie after drinking soda with highly the lifted headboard and loosen the clothing belt. It is going to work in 10-15 minutes. If you haven’t felt relief, you can try once again. The most important rule is not to take more than 200 g of soda.
There are several effective recipes where soda is the main component:
- Soda and vinegar
- Take a glass of water
- Dissolve half a teaspoon of the baking soda and natural apple cider vinegar.
- When the mixture begins to foam and you will notice bubbles, it is necessary to drink a few small sips.
- Fizzy soda
If you want to get rid of heartburn quickly, then this powerful tool that remedy is able to help you within a very short period of time. If apple cider vinegar is not available now, you can use lemon juice or acid.
How to make a pop from heartburn:
- take 2/3 cup of boiled and cooled water,
- dissolve it in a quarter of a teaspoon of citric acid crystals
- add a half teaspoon of baking soda.
It is ready for use when you notice the foam. Don’t put a lot of acid. It is better to use lemon juice instead. The recipe will be the following:
- a half cup of water should be dissolved by half teaspoon juice and soda.
- to improve the taste you can use a small amount of sugar.
When you notice bubbles, try to drink it in small sips.
Important: Take the baking soda only if you suffer this problem not very often. Otherwise, you should consult your doctor as the heartburn may be the symptom of some sickness of the digestive system. Soda can help you to feel a relief from removing the discomfort of it, but it does not treat the main cause!
Note: what can the long period of taking soda result in?
Harm of soda is connected with its impact on the whole body as the Sodium which is contained therein. It has a bad effect on the blood vessels making their walls not so elastic and a bit brittle. High sodium content can result in the problems with the kidneys or even become the reason of the worse accumulation of fluid in the tissues.
Frequent use inside of taking soda can lead to:
- alkalization of blood,
- frequent vomiting,
- spasmodic pains in the abdomen.
- signs of nervousness,
- frequent headaches.
Seeds are a good remedy from the heartburn if you take slightly dried seeds or fresh seeds. The advantage of such remedy is that you can take it with you anywhere you go. So, chew 20 pumpkin or sunflower seeds in the morning and then eat seeds again in case you have any burning sensation.
The flax seeds have excellent coating and soothing properties. The recipe is here:
- take 100g of seeds
- ground them
- place in a glass container.
The resulting powder is poured with a glass of hot water for the whole night. In the morning the mixture will turn into a jelly that is consumed before and after meals.
Important: This remedy is not for you as if you have at least one of the mentioned problems: severe diarrhea, exacerbation of cholecystitis or inflammation of the cornea.
The activated carbon is well-known for its property to absorb the excess of the acid formed in the stomach. The other benefit is its safety as it is not able to irritate the intestine. This is especially good for pregnant women who can use it without worrying about its safety for the baby.
If you have a slight sensation of the heartburn, you may take 1-2 pills of activated charcoal and this doze will be enough to help you. But if you feel bad, then you can enhance the effect by preparing the following recipe:
- crush 10 tablets,
- stir 0.5 cup of milk
- drink it all at once.
Important! Possible side effects: an activated charcoal can cause any side effects only in case of a serious overdose. You should take 1 tablet per 10 kg of your body weight. The possible unpleasant consequences include: diarrhea, constipation. However, the continual intake of this remedy even in small doses can cause the change of the gastric and intestinal microflora.
It is well-known that honey has the calming effect and the ability to decrease the sensation of the discomfort inside your stomach. It is recommended to combine honey with other ingredients to have the better effect:
- Honey + water for a weak heartburn: if you have mild heartburn and this happens seldom, then you can use the following recipe: dissolve a tablespoon of honey in a glass of water and take it 30 min before having some food in the morning. You should take it twice a day till you don’t get rid of these unpleasant sensations at all. You can substitute simple water with the mineral water which has a high concentration of alkali able to enhance the healing effect.
- Aloe + honey for severe heartburn: if you feel that your heartburn has become more persistent, it is better to use such efficient combination as the mix of aloe and honey. You will definitely like how it tastes! Moreover, it won’t make you wait for the result for a long time as it works really fast! You can get rid of an unpleasant bitter taste in the mouth effectively. It is very easy to make this remedy: you will need just honey (100g) and aloe juice. Remember to use it about 40 minutes before having your meals.
- Honey + warm milk: you need to dissolve 1 tablespoon of honey in the glass of warm milk to get rid of the heartburn. Take the mixture 1 hour before your meal or when you have the unpleasant symptoms.
Important: Note that the honey from lemon balm, linden flowers and Angelica is the most effective.
Buckwheat is considered to be one of the safest and the most effective ways to get rid of heartburn. As a therapeutic agent you should use:
- make the buckwheat rump and calcined using the frying pan
- pound it or grind using a grinder
The resulting powder should be taken 3 times per day for half an hour before meals. It will be enough to take the dose on the tip of a knife.
Important: You can take buckwheat for medicinal purposes in any form you like. If you suffer from heartburn, it is recommended to eat more cereal, for example, buckwheat porridge and soups. Especially useful is eating them in the morning and on an empty stomach.
The popular remedy from the heartburn is also fresh peas as well as dried peas:
- Fresh peas are very easy to use as you need to take 3-4 peas and chew them to get rid of unpleasant sensations.
- The dry product requires a longer cooking. A handful of dried peas should be poured with the boiled water and left for a few hours in order they could steam.
- 3-4 pieces will be enough to chew at once and the others can be stored in the refrigerator in case you have the heartburn again.
Important: Don’t use the canned or cooked peas as these forms will provide you with no effect at all.
Even if you suffer from the heartburn for a long time, use cranberry and you will notice result immediately! There is one advantage that you will definitely like as it is not only effective but in some recipes it can be even tasty which is also pleasant while getting rid of any discomfort.
The most effective variant is the cold broth based on the Viburnum bark.
- take a tablespoon of powdered bark of the tree,
- pour it with a liter of water,
- drink half a cup three times a day.
There is one more delicious cure for heartburn – cranberry jam! You can use buy it or make by yourself. It is used by dissolving a tablespoon of the jam in a glass of the boiled water. You can drink it without any restrictions as the more often you are drinking it, the faster heartburn disappears.
Recipe of the cranberry jam:
- collect cranberries late autumn,
- rinse cranberry thoroughly,
- get seeds
- put the berries into a metal container
- send it into the oven along with a plate of water.
- after an hour pass it through a sieve
- add sugar to the mashed berries, water in a ratio of 1: 5 and heat it over a fire.
Important: The freshly cooked jam is considered to be the most effective remedy.
Water is the most important product in treating the heartburn as the mineral water is famous for the property to help in getting rid of the irritant effect. It is also helpful for decreasing the gastric acidity.
While suffering from the heartburn it is recommended to use alkaline and bicarbonate which is slightly alkaline water. For example, the most popular beverages are “Borjomi”, “Essentuki-4”, “Smirnoff”, “Dzhilizhan”, “Kislovodsk seltzer,” “Slavyanovskaya” and “Jermuk “. All of them are available in any drugstore. Remember not to keep water in plastic containers as this mineral water must always be in glass bottles.
There are some definite principles of using of these medicinal beverages:
- To get rid of the heartburn fast, it is necessary to drink water heated to 40C, that’s why the prepared remedy should be stored in a thermos not to be heated again as there is a risk of losing all medicinal properties.
- It is better to use the degassed water. For this purpose, it is poured into a wide mouth container, stir and allow staying during several hours.
- You should drink a quarter to a glass of water three times a day in small sips of about 5 minutes. The course of treatment is 3 weeks.
- With the medical purposes it is recommended to drink mineral water 30 min after meal as in this case it is able to be useful for decreasing the stomach acidity as well as esophagus. To normalize gastric juice you need to take the beverage an hour before having meals.
Important: Read the instructions on the label carefully before drinking mineral water in order to get acquainted with all possible contraindications.
The salt is the first remedy you can try as it is available in any kitchen. This remedy is cheap but effective which gives it a lot of advantages.
Use this therapeutic agent as follows:
- a small pinch of salt should be put in the mouth
- resolve it slowly while constantly swallowing the formed saliva
Important: Salt can cause the release of acidic enzymes that help neutralize the effects of bile.
Biologically active substances that the mumiyo consists of, make it an effective remedy for the heartburn symptoms. The recipe is the following:
- take 0.2 g. of the medicinal resin
- dilute it with a tablespoon of boiled water, honey or milk
- drink this mix for 4 weeks in the morning and before going to bed
- then make a break for at least 2 weeks in order to reduce the body to get used to the artificial stimulation.
Mumiyo or Shilajit has a number of contraindications, which should be remembered. It cannot be taken by children under 3, by the pregnant and nursing women. This means it has low toxicity with no adverse effects on the body, but like any biostimulator there is a chance that it may cause an increase in blood pressure and decrease of the blood clotting.
Important: It is not recommended for people who suffer from hemophilia, palpitations, bleeding of any species.
This remedy is probably the tastiest! How does it work? It is well-known that almonds are able to neutralize stomach acid. The main stages of preparing almonds are very easy:
- treat the nut with boiling water
- remove the skin
- chew almonds slowly
This remedy is considered to work very quickly.
Important: As a rule, you can expect getting a result in a couple of minutes.
First you cannot believe in the vinegar’s healing properties as it sounds like nonsense to treat the problem which is caused by the acid with the acid remedy. But after trying it you will understand that it really works! And you will be happy to discover that the recipe is very simple:
- take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- mix it with boiling water
- drink it at once
Important: It is recommended to take this remedy before having a meal.
You should choose the natural homemade remedies to get rid of the heartburn fast as they can provide you with some certain privileges like their affordability and availability. However, you should consult the doctor if you experience the heartburn symptoms very often as this may signal you about some serious health problems. It is better to prevent any problem than to treat it, that’s why use all mentioned preventive methods as well. The effectiveness of each remedy which had been mentioned above can differ from an individual to an individual as all people have different reasons of the heartburn as well as the rate of the signs of the disease. Hope that this article will be helpful!