A sedentary lifestyle is a common phenomenon in today’s world and is characterized by minimal and irregular physical activity. The modern person needs to take less and less action to perform daily tasks, which in some cases are reduced to traveling by transport to work and back, an 8-hour seat at the desk and an evening TV watching lying on the couch. This schedule leaves not too much time to maintain a good physical shape, which over time can have a significant negative impact on health and cause a large number of serious diseases. In case you follow the sedentary lifestyle you risk facing really dangerous consequences that you can get acquainted with in this article.
- Consequence number 1: Diseases of the musculoskeletal system
- Consequence number 2: Diseases of the heart and blood vessels
- Consequence number 3: Obesity
- Consequence number 4: Mental disorders
- Consequence number 5: Inflammation of the prostate gland, impotency and infertility
- Exercises for those who have the sedentary lifestyle
- 6 Useful Tips on How to Organize Your Diet Following a Sedentary Lifestyle
The most common diseases of our time are diseases of the musculoskeletal system. Curvature of the spine, or scoliosis, and subsequently osteochondrosis, constantly persecute a sedentary person.
Such diseases have the following symptoms:
- constant aching pain,
- limited motor ability of the spine,
- periodic pain in the hands or feet.
A significant decrease in physical activity leads to the elution of the necessary calcium from the bones, which is a provoking factor that causes numerous fractures. The muscles of a person decrease substantially in volume, the ligamentous apparatus weakens, so today very often there are dislocations of limbs, sprains of ligaments.
Important: The consequences of a sedentary lifestyle undoubtedly affect the joints of a person. They practically cease to work properly, become inflamed, and recently such problems arose exclusively among elderly people.
Surprisingly, how young the cardiovascular diseases are. The heart of a man without the necessary load loses strength, endurance. Even small efforts, for example, a fast, short run, cause the heart muscle to work at its maximum load. The heart just “pops” out of the chest. The sedentary lifestyle will cause the following negative consequences:
- An untrained heart begins to contract very often.
- There is a tachycardia, which is extremely dangerous for the development of arrhythmia, and later the emergence of a dangerous disease – myocardial infarction.
- The consequence of a sedentary lifestyle is also an increase in blood pressure. In case a person has an increased blood pressure, there is the threat to have an extremely dangerous disease – a stroke.
Sedentary lifestyle contributes to the stagnation of venous blood in the small pelvis, which leads to an increase in hemorrhoids and the development of a very unpleasant disease – hemorrhoids. In addition, the disease, such as varicose veins, has significantly grown younger. The result of performing physical exercises is more effective work of the cardiovascular system, increasing high-density lipoproteins, or “good” cholesterol, and reducing unwanted triglycerides in the blood.
Important: Lack of movement is dangerous by slowing blood circulation, which invariably leads to the formation of thrombi, which can easily clog the vital blood vessel in the heart, lungs, brain.
Excess body weight is one of the most common consequences of a sedentary lifestyle. Lack of physical activity leads to a slowing of metabolism and blood circulation, thereby reducing the number of calories burned, the excess of which is deposited as fat.
Obesity, in turn, is associated with an increased risk of developing various diseases, including:
- cardiovascular diseases,
- high blood cholesterol levels,
- diabetes mellitus,
- certain cancers,
- gallbladder diseases and arthritis.
- psychological disorders, such as depression and low self-esteem, can also occur if a person is worried about his or her excess weight.
Important: Any muscular activity, on the contrary, is aimed at maintaining the weight in the norm, because it burns calories, and the more intense it is, the more calories burn.
Scientists from the University of Deakin (Australia) found that a sedentary lifestyle can lead to increased levels of anxiety and the development of mental disorders. This is reported by Zee News with reference to the medical publication BMC Public Health.
Scientists have studied a number of studies conducted on approximately 9 groups of volunteers. Measuring the time that the people spent in a sitting position in any situation (TV, computer, table, armchair, etc.), they analyzed their mood and health condition.
It turned out that the longer a person spends sitting, the more often he has anxious conditions that can cause:
- rapid heartbeat,
- muscle tension.
Only 2 hours in a sedentary state cause a particularly strong surge of negative emotions. Sedentary lifestyle negatively affects mental health. Persons who do not receive any loads are more prone to depressions and anxieties. As research has shown, regular muscle activity can reduce stress and reduce the incidence of many mental disorders.
Endorphins, released during exercise, naturally improve the mood and help to feel happier and more relaxed. In addition, sports have an impact on the production of the hormone serotonin, an unbalanced level of which can lead to depression, affect memory and appetite. In addition, improving the appearance will help improve self-esteem and increase self-confidence.
A sedentary lifestyle can cause problems with sleep since under such conditions the body may not feel the need for rest.
Important: Regular exercise, on the contrary, helps to get rid of insomnia and improve the quality of sleep. However, it is necessary to avoid training just before going to bed as you will not quickly fall asleep.
The problem of men’s health is one of the most terrible for the representatives of strong sex. None of them will want to lose their masculine strength. According to statistics, erectile dysfunction is more likely to take place in those who have a sedentary profession, and much less in those men who lead an active physical way of life. What is the connection between the physical activity and male sexual
functions? n the sitting position, blood circulation is disturbed, which can lead to stagnant processes, and with a constant sedentary lifestyle – and to inflammatory processes. Hence prostatitis, decreased potency and other problems with the genitourinary system in men. The most unpleasant fact is that a sedentary lifestyle often affects the reproductive function of men. The more time a man spends in an office chair, the more likely he faces infertility.
Exercises for the normalization of blood circulation:
Weakened male potency is the result of restriction in movement and lack of exercise. If you have the opportunity and the environment allows – you can do a number of simple but useful exercises. They will help to normalize blood circulation, prevent stagnant processes and bring muscles into tone.
- Rotation of the pelvis. Perform the rotation of the pelvis first in one, and then in the other direction.
- Slopes forward. Lean so that you touch the floor with your fingers.
- Tilts to the sides.
- Walking, lifting your knees high.
Important: Try to move as much as possible during the lunch break, and throughout the day. Often take breaks, get up from the work chair.
Having found yourself in such a situation, when you have to accept established rules and lead a sedentary lifestyle, you should outline a plan for opposing its negative impact. There are special exercises that you can do without even getting up from the chair. Just do not really rejoice – it’s not a panacea for all diseases, it’s just those extra actions that you have to perform every day, if you do not want to get into a risk group.
A big mistake made by many people is a rare attempt to change something, coupled with noticeable physical exertion. In this case, you can even worsen your unenviable condition because the muscle that is unused to the physical muscles suddenly has a strong impact, which is fraught with serious consequences: breaks, fractures, even a heart attack or stroke. Begin doing the exercises from the very beginning of your new way of life. In this case we are talking about those people who are not used to leading it.
The main purpose of such exercises is to prevent the stagnation of blood and other fluids in the spine, suppression of numbness of the limbs. Every hour, distract yourself from work for 5-10 minutes to do such exercises:
Exercise 1: Lean back in the chair and clasp your fingers behind your head, inhaling, bend back 5 times, exhale. Repeat several times.
Exercise 2: Pull your arms up and stretch after them, take them out to the sides. Repeat several times.
Exercise 3: Do not get up from the chair, make slopes left and right, be sure to touch the floor with your fingers. Repeat several times.
Exercise 4: Turn your head in different directions slowly, pull up your shoulders, make them circular movements. Grasp the seat of the chair and begin to pull the knees together to the chest, make a corner with straight legs. Repeat several times.
Tips how to increase your activity if you have sedentary lifestyle:
- It is better, of course, to do these exercises standing but do not abandon them, if there is no such possibility and perform exercises in a sitting position.
- It is highly recommended after a full hour of continuous sitting to walk about 5-10 minutes to stretch the tightened limbs.
- Outside of working time, be sure to give time at least to light physical exertion. Start running around in the morning for 20-30 minutes and be sure to do morning exercises after sleep.
- Walk on foot to work and from work. If the place of work is far away, then leave the public transport, before reaching the destination, walk for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Master the skipping rope – it’s a great way to keep muscles in tone without spending a lot of money and time.
Important: Remember, the more you sit, the more you must move. And not on holidays and weekends, but every day.
If a sedentary lifestyle has entered your life and claimed its rights, you should immediately review your daily diet. This is necessary in order to prevent excess calories from settling in the form of fat.
Follow the rules you find here to prevent the harmful consequences of a sedentary lifestyle:
- To begin with, look through your daily routine and allocate certain time for obligatory snacks. If your day is always regulated, then put the reception for a certain time with such a consideration that between meals there is no more than 2.5-3 hours. This type of food is called fractional and its peculiarity is that you will not feel a constant hunger, which means that during lunch or dinner you will not eat beyond what is permitted. In this case, the size of the portions should be markedly reduced. And if you are used to eating first, second and third dishes at a time during dinner, now they will all be separated in time.
- The main meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) should not be more than 300-350 grams, and snacks – not more than 200 grams.
- You should strictly moderate the consumption of any sugar-containing products (including fruits) – per day, no more than 5% of sugar from the total daily sugar norm. But it is generally better to reduce its share to 5-10% of the entire weekly diet.
- Drink plenty of water. Only simple water is considered, the teas and juices shouldn’t be included. The daily rate is very easy to calculate for everyone: for each kilogram of your weight you need 30 ml of water. Drink either half an hour before meals, or no earlier than 30-60 minutes after that, so that water does not dilute the gastric juice, preventing the successful assimilation of food.
- Exclude from your food any foods that contain trans fats, flavors, emulsifiers, do not drink strongly carbonated drinks, moderate consumption of high-calorie foods (baking, smoked products, sweets, marinades).
- Try to replace them with useful products of natural production: sour-milk, cereals, various vegetables and dried fruits.
You can stay healthy even if you follow a sedentary lifestyle (not everyone can tailor the circumstances to their desires), but this requires more effort and constant monitoring of your health condition, preventing the development of any negative consequences.