Women’s physiology is very complex and unpredictable. Female body is able to perform a miracle such as giving a birth to the baby. However for such happiness we have to sacrifice something. Perhaps this is the way menstrual cramps can be interpreted as recurrent pain women experience every month.
Some sources claim that 56% of women experience menstrual cramps of moderate severity which do not interfere with daily activities. At the same time about 35% of women during the menstruation days feel so strong menstrual cramps that they not only change the body temperature but also experience fever and even sometimes it comes to losing consciousness. It is very difficult to find a woman who during the critical days is not feeling any painful moments in urogenital system. However it is difficult to find someone who knows solution for this problem even though it is happening every single month. Let’s investigate what we can do in order to solve the problem with menstrual cramps quicker.
- The first way: Take a pill
- The second way: Physical Activity
- The third way: Acupressure and massage
- The fourth way: Use heat
- The fifth way: Balanced diet
- The sixth way: Drink herbal tea
- The seventh way: Skip alcohol and smoking
Menstrual cramps are unfortunately familiar to almost all women of the age from 14 to 50. Remember that pain should not be tolerated. There is no need to struggle in pain when we have so many solutions. If you are experiencing menstrual pain consult with your gynecologist and choose for yourself the optimal solution for relieving symptoms of recurring pain. Be careful when using medicines and always read the description. Definitely it is better not to take the pill but try to cope with the pain in some other way. Such situation is happening when you are taking some pills already or if you have some regular medicines and they cannot be taken together with pills from menstrual cramps.
The simplest way is to ask in the pharmacy for a pill of any analgesic (with the exception of aspirin) or spasmolytic. The type of the medicine should be recommended by your doctor and taken only according to his recommendations. Usually type of medicine depends on the strength and duration of pain. Also sometimes it takes some time to find the right painkiller as some women need weaker and some women need stronger painkillers.
Warning: Do not hurry with taking a painkiller and try to cope with the pain in some other way first. If nothing works than go ahead and take a pill. Be careful with dosage.
The most logical activity during the pain is to stay in bed and rest during painful menstruation. Physical exercises are highly recommended. So basically we need to force ourselves and stand up and be active. Light exercise will reduce the pain and increase the level of endorphins in the blood. Endorphins are known as a natural painkillers.
Physical activity can be of any kind: walking, swimming, aerobic exercises, cardio exercises or even yoga. There is also a set of simple exercises which can help to cope the pain quicker.
Simple painkilling exercise:
- Make yoga exercise which is called cobra. This is simple exercise but very effective.
- Lie you’re your face down on the floor; feet together and knees stretched.
- First of all inhale and exhale, inhale again and lift your upper part of the body but in such a way that your pubis will touch the floor.
- Contract with all your strength muscles of your anus and buttocks.
- Try to stay in this uncomfortable position for 20 seconds.
- After 20 seconds exhale and return to the starting position. Repeat this exercise for 3-4 times.
Understandable that it is a challenge to be active when you are in pain. But this is a challenge which is worth trying. When you will cope with the pain for the first time with the help of physical activity you will recommend this method to all and everyone you know.
Warning: This yoga exercise is contraindicated for patients with hypertension, hyperthyroidism and spine disorders.
Acupressure is known as a solution for very different types of pain. It is also known as a method of reducing abdominal pain (menstrual cramps). The most common biologically active spot which helps to cope with menstrual cramps is located on our ankle. In order to find it we should put palm under the knee in such a way that little finger will be placed in the beginning of the ankle. In such a position an index finger will point directly on the spot we were searching for.
Acupressure during menstrual cramps:
- Press the spot with the thumb for 6 seconds.
- After the pressing should follow 2 minutes break.
- Complete massage should be 20 minutes in total.
- Do not forget to press spots on both ankles.
In fact even simple proper massage of an ankle (with movements rubbing the entire surface) is also able to relieve the pain. Such an effect of this method is explained by the intensification of blood flow in an ankle. In such a way blood flow is stopping its activity in the pelvis.
- Massage your stomach and lower back slowly in a clockwise direction. It is better to ask your partner or relative to help you with massage.
- Effective results can be also achieved if you try massaging the lower back.
- To make the massage yourself you need to take 2 small solid balls (for example tennis balls).
- Put them in a bag (or in a sock) so they will stay together. Lay with your back on the balls.
- Each of the balls should be on different side of the spine in the lower back. Press them with your lower back and roll a bit.
You can additionally massage your feet which is one of the ways to eliminate spasms and stabilize endocrine system.
Warning: The effect of this method for each person will be different. Some people feel relieve and other do not feel any obvious difference. It is also important to monitor the overall feeling of the woman during and after the acupressure or massage.
Surprising fact is that heat and warm can help us with menstrual cramps. Take a heating pad or a bottle with hot water and put it on your stomach. This simple trick will increase blood flow to the uterus and reduce the impact of painful menstrual cramps. Time of the procedure should not exceed 15 minutes. In such a way we are sure that we are safe and we will not cause increased bleeding.
Also you can try to consume more hot beverages. Any hot tea or another hot drink is highly recommended during the menstrual cramps. Also increase the consumption of water up to 2.2 liters per day.
Warning: In case of sudden increasing in bleeding immediately stop using this method and try other ways instead.
The studies indicate that some products unfortunately increase the amount of pain we experience during the menstruation and they should be completely skipped. We should try to avoid products increasing pain at least until the menstruation will end. Everyone can survive 4-6 days without steak or milk if it will actually help with the problem.
List of food to avoid:
- Saturated fats.
- Dairy products.
- Any food of animal origin.
These products can be easily temporarily replaced by salmon, tuna or mackerel. These products are helping in relaxing muscles and reducing spasms.
List of food to include:
- Sunflower seeds
- Fresh vegetables and fruits
- Calcium-rich products
This list of products normalizes muscle tone and additionally eliminates the spasms. One more tip is to learn about importance of calcium during menstruation. The daily minimum amount of consumed calcium should be 800 mg. Magnesium is also a secret solution in the war against menstrual cramps. Magnesium normalizes muscle tone and in addition relaxes muscles, increases the body’s ability to absorb calcium.
- Green vegetables
- Dried fruits
Experts advise to increase the amount of consumed magnesium in the daily diet up to 500-1000 mg during the menstruation.
Warning: We all know that calcium and magnesium can be easily bought in the pharmacy but try to consume vitamins in their natural and healthy state which is food.
Herbal teas are known for their quick help in removing menstrual cramps. Fluids are very important during the menstruation as they help our body to go through the bleeding and not to be dehydrated. Consumed beverages should be always very hot. Hot drinks accelerate blood circulation and relax muscles. In such a way we consume more and go to the bathroom more often and clear our body.
Recipes of herbal drinks:
- Try the infusion of raspberry leaves. 2-3 teaspoons of raspberry leaves pour with a glass of hot water. Let it stay for 15 minutes, strain the drink and consume in small sips during the day.
- Marjoram is highly recommended for such type of pain. 1 tablespoon marjoram pour with a glass of boiling water, leave for 20 minutes, strain. Drink marjoram tea during the day.
- Another type of herbal drink is a mixture of few herbs. Mix of chamomile flowers and lemon balm leaves is one of the options. 1 tablespoon of mix (chamomile and lemon balm – 1: 1) pour with 1 cup of boiling water, leave for 30 minutes and strain. Drink infusion during the day (before meals). This recipe can be consumed even before menstruation and during the month after it.
- Mix of chamomile flowers, mint leaves and valerian root (2: 2: 1). 1 tablespoon of mix pour with 1 cup of boiling water, leave for half an hour, strain. Drink 2 tablespoons of tea 3 times a day.
Different types of herbs provide different effect on our body. Usually we can read the description on the bag when we choose tea in the pharmacy or we can consult with gynecologist and choose the best option for us. Sometimes even simple glass of warm milk with spoon of honey can help to calm down the menstrual cramps and cope with the pain.
Warning: Pay attention to your fluids consumption. Prevent dehydration of your body and consume more water.
Smoking and alcohol is harmful and we know it already. One new fact is that reducing or skipping them completely during the menstruation can reduce the pain we experience. Female body is different from the men’s one and not able to cope with nicotine and alcohol in the same way. We always hear from other people that we (women) are weaker and it is so! Smoking is extremely harmful for the female body.
Smoking is causing premature aging, painful menstrual cramps, approaching menopause, provoking the emergence of various diseases and increasing the risk of cancer. Nowadays unfortunately plenty of young women are facing the problems of oncology. Because of the daily poisoning by nicotine and alcohol intoxication the immune system is not capable of working properly and cancer cells are destroyed and growing.
Warning: Better stop consuming both alcohol and nicotine at all. In case you cannot do it on your own try some of the available nowadays methods and you will be surprised by your health improvement.