The homeland of potatoes is South America. In ancient times, the Indians living here, not only ate it but worshiped it, considering it an animated being. In Europe it was introduced in 1551. As far back as 1616, potatoes were served as a rare and delicious dish only at the royal table in Paris. Delicious floury tubers at first were called truffles. And in the time of Marie Antoinette, its flowers were used to decorate the hairstyle and dress. According to an ancient legend, once a potato was called a “the Devil’s apple”. People said that initially the “unclean” product is purified and acquires useful qualities only during cooking, when its vapors reach the Gods and receive their mercy. Which useful properties of potatoes are used nowadays? Discover unique properties of the product you daily use in your ration here.
- Benefit number 1: Fights against avitaminosis
- Benefit number 2: Helps to treat hypertension, atherosclerosis and heart failure
- Benefit number 3: Helps to relieve gastritis
- Benefit number 4: Helps to get rid of all cold symptoms
- Benefit number 5: Helps to get rid of joint pain
- Benefit number 6: Takes care of skin
- Benefit number 7: Helps to fight against cancer
- 5 Interesting Facts about Potatoes
Potatoes are a great source of all necessary organic and mineral salts, enzymes and vitamins. The tubers contain the following vitamins:
- folic acid ,
- 11-56 mg% of provitamin A (carotene).
Especially useful are potatoes with yellow flesh as they are richer in carotene and especially for people whose work requires good vision (machinists, drivers, etc.).
Potatoes are a valuable source of vitamin C. And despite the fact that the content of the vitamin is highly variable and depends on the type of potato, soil and climatic conditions in the cultivation area, the application of fertilizers, the maturity of the tubers, the terms and conditions of their storage, but considering the great content in our ration in some segments of the population, it can be the main source of vitamin C.
Important: Approximately 200 g of fresh potatoes baked in their jackets contain an almost daily rate of ascorbic acid.
Along with carbohydrates (up to 25%), proteins (2%) and fat (0.3%) in potato tubers there is potassium. And its content is rather rich: 568 mg per 100 grams of raw potatoes.
Due to the large potassium content, potatoes are very much shown in the diet of those who suffer from:
- and heart failure.
First of all, this is because potassium is an indispensable element for the normal functioning of the heart muscle and blood vessels. And secondly, it normalizes water-salt metabolism in our body, specifically – it helps to drain excess water along with table salt. This facilitates the work of the heart, improves metabolism and regulates the work of endocrine glands. That is why potatoes are the basis of many medical diets. Just cook it properly – boil, or even better – bake.
Potatoes from atherosclerosis:
Individuals over 40 years should regularly drink raw potato juice.
- Take medium size potatoes;
- Wash, grate on a fine grater with skin,
- Pick out eyelets and then squeeze the juice through several layers of gauze.
- Mix and drink potato juice.
It is recommended to drink such juice on fasting three times a day before having meals. The recommended course of treatment is for three weeks.
Potatoes from heart diseases:
It is believed that the potato has a beneficial effect on the heart and with diseases of the cardiovascular system.
- Boil up to 1 kg of potatoes
- Divide this 1 kg into 5-6 servings
Remember that you shouldn’t salt potatoes while eating.
Potatoes from hypertension:
- Boil potatoes in the peel;
- Drink a decoction of potato peelings 1-2 cups daily;
- Also it is necessary to eat the baked potatoes in jackets together with a peel.
Important: It is in the baked potatoes that the maximum of useful substances remains.
The product contains many components useful for inflamed mucosa:
- different amino acids;
- vegetable fats;
- a set of vitamins;
- coarse fiber;
- organic acids;
Very useful are potatoes for people suffering from:
- gastritis with high acidity,
- peptic ulcer of the stomach and duodenum.
All because the pH of the potato is slightly alkaline, which means that it extinguishes the excess acid in the stomach. And in this there are useful properties of the starch, which is so much in this root crop.
It is known that starch is not digested, that’s why in normal life nutritionists do not advise loading our bodies more often than 2-3 times a week. But the well-known property of starch to literally “envelop” the walls of the stomach and to mitigate the effects of the gastric juices on them can sometimes serve a good service.
Potato Juice from gastritis
The treatment of gastritis with potato juice is carried out only with freshly squeezed juice. To make it, you need:
- Take 3 medium-sized potatoes, free them from the peel and grate.
- From the received weight squeeze juice using gauze. You can also simplify the task using a juicer.
In the treatment of gastritis, you do not need to clean tubers, however, dirt must be removed. To do this, thoroughly wash each potato.
Important: Some experts argue that it is better to avoid contact of potatoes used for medicinal purposes with metal surfaces. They recommend to grind the vegetable with the help of plastic tequila, ceramic knives and other non-metallic kitchen utensils, and then squeeze juice from it through the cheesecloth.
Inhalation steam from cooked unpeeled potatoes in jackets is able to treat catarrhal diseases of the respiratory tract, accompanied by a cough, runny nose and headache.
For inhalation you can use potato peel. For additional warmth, the patient puts on his head some cloth covering, which closes the pan. The effect of treatment is quite high, as the therapeutic factors are the volatile emissions of potatoes, and the heat of water vapor. It is important that after the inhalation session you do not go to the cold.
Before the mustards and cans appeared, our ancestors used potatoes for colds. It was brewed with a peel, cut in half and laid out hot halves on the back, pre-lubricated with honey. The patient was hid and kept “potato jars” for 15 minutes. During this time, the back warmed up well, and the cold receded. This method can be effectively used nowadays as well. It has a lot of advantages due to the fact that compared to expensive medicine from cold, potatoes are cheap and can be found in every house.
Potatoes from high temperature:
Apply a compress on the forehead of potatoes- the temperature will decrease within 1 hour. Compress is prepared as follows:
- on a large grater, grate 2 raw potatoes with a peel,
- add 1 tablespoon of vinegar,
- wrap the resulting mass in a clean cloth or gauze. The fabric should be wide enough to wrap wrapped potatoes in it.
- The finished compress is applied to the forehead, and after a while, change it by making a fresh one.
Potatoes from cough:
- Pour 1 liter of water into one medium-sized potato, one medium-sized onion and apple,
- cook until the water boils out halfway.
- Drink 3 times a day for 1 tsp. with a chronic cough.
It is recommended to apply cut hot potatoes to the throat with a throat cough. Potatoes “take” the negative field of the disease, and mild heat promotes good blood circulation in the diseased area. This method is especially good for a child who is allergic, which is contraindicated with mustard plasters.
Potatoes from runny nose:
- Boil potatoes in jackets,
- drain the water,
- wrap up and breathe over the potato steam.
- Potatoes can be stretched additionally.
There is one more effective method of using potatoes: Hot potato must be quickly rolled on the forehead, nose, ears, and then cut and attached one half to the forehead, and the other – to the wings of the nose. It is possible to “roll” 3-4 potatoes in this way during the day. After the procedure on the forehead, always wear a bandage of soft woolen cloth.
Important: Inhalation of potatoes has a positive effect by heating the respiratory tracts. The softening effect of potatoes is favorable for liquefaction and excretion of mucus and sputum, helps to alleviate the patient’s condition when coughing, soothes mucous membranes.
Getting older all people experience problems with joints. However, thanks to useful properties of potatoes, you can easily relieve your pain in joints quickly and effectively.
Potatoes from arthritis:
In arthritis, to remove pain in the joints and legs, it is recommended to use green potatoes.
- Thoroughly wash tubers and grind without removing the peel.
- The resulting mass is put in hot water and heated to a temperature slightly above 38 ° C.
- Then, without pressing, put in a bag, sewn from sacking. The pouch must conform to the shin, ankle or fingers, where the compress lies.
- Under the bag, you should first lay the oilcloth. The thickness of the potato layer should be 1.5-2 cm.
- With this bag, wrap a sore spot and cover with an oilcloth.
- Then bandage it so that nothing comes out of the compress. Leave it for a night.
If the compress does not heat, then it’s done poorly. Pain lasts for 20-30 minutes and does not repeat until the next exacerbation. Compress should be appled every day at night. This should be done within 7 days.
Important: If in the first 2-3 days the pain disappeared and then does not appear, you do not need to put the compress on.
Cosmetologists also did not bypass the potatoes with their attention. Not everyone knows the truly miraculous properties of potatoes in the composition of facial care products. It is able to make the complexion better and significantly change the skin condition for the better, help in the renewal and restoration of cells, thereby contributing to the rejuvenation and lifting of the face oval. Potatoes have the ability to whiten, nourish and saturate our skin with vitamins. For use in home cosmetology, raw and boiled potatoes, starch, and also potato juice are used. Potatoes have a number of medicinal properties, such as:
Potato starch benefits:
- does not cause allergic reactions;
- suitable for all skin types;
- brightens pigmented spots and freckles;
- regulates the work of sebaceous glands;
- coping with flabbiness and tightness of the skin;
- wrestles with wrinkles;
- pulls together the expanded pores.
Potato masks for dry skin:
It is recommended to make nutritious masks from potatoes when the face is overdried or sunburned.
To do this, boiled potatoes in jackets are ground with sour cream and warm slurry and applied evenly to the skin of the face for several minutes. Then rinse it with warm water. You can make a nourishing face mask from boiled potatoes mixed with milk and egg yolk. Puree-like mass is applied to the face in a warm form and kept for 15-20 minutes. Then the mask is washed off with a hot face and rinsed with cold water.
Compresses from eye bags:
If you want to get rid of inflammation of the eyelids, compresses from grated raw potatoes help – they have an anti-inflammatory effect. Bags under the eyes are going to disappear if you put on the lower eyelids a slice of raw potatoes for 15 minutes.
Potato for flaky hand skin:
For the treatment of hands with reddened and flaky skin use a compress of mashed potatoes with milk. The resulting puree in a hot form is applied to the skin of the hands and wrapped on top with a cloth. When the potatoes cool down, the compress is removed.
Potato for the cracked skin of heels:
With cracks on the heels, you need to wash the potato peelings, add flax seeds, cook until mashed potatoes, keep the foot in it for 15-20 minutes, then rinse with water, drain and gently cut off the coarsened epidermis next to the cracks.
Cracked places should be carefully treated with tincture of iodine and greased with fish oil or a special foot cream. For prevention of cracks, make foot baths from potato starch or from decoction of potato peelings.
Important: Procedures should be done by courses to see the result and at least a month, since the skin has the property to renovate every 28-30 days. It is not recommended to apply masks with potatoes to damaged skin. Before applying face masks, it is better to steam the skin so that the pores open.
All of us have heard more than once that the green potatoes and their sprouts are poisonous to our body. That’s why most people throw them away. But it is not without reason that they say that the poison in small doses can be useful. Presence in a potato of such poisonous substance as solanine is capable to harm an organism. But for this, its quantity in the human diet should be quite large. Scientists have proved that the substance contained in the sprouts has a positive effect on the human body, namely:
- increases the tone of the heart muscle;
- destroys a large number of fungi and viruses;
- carries an anti-inflammatory effect;
- normalizes the work of the gastrointestinal tract;
- promotes wound healing;
- prevents reproduction of Staphylococcus aureus;
- has an antispasmodic effect.
Effective is the use of potatoes against cancer of different locations. The greatest amount of this substance is contained in the sprouts of potatoes. There are 2 ways of making infusion from potato sprouts.
Potato infusion recipe 1:
- To prepare healing infusions, you will need to rip off the sprouts from the potatoes and thoroughly rinse them.
- Then grind them to produce gruel. This can be done with a blender or a meat grinder.
- The resulting mixture must be wrung out and add alcohol. The ratio should be 2: 1.
Potato infusion recipe 2:
To prepare the infusion in this way it is necessary:
- Cut the washed potato sprouts and put into a jar.
- Then they are poured with alcohol. It must cover them with 2 fingers.
- Allow the mixture to stand for 2 weeks and then drain the contents.
Potato infusion recipe 3:
Potato flowers from cancer are also used to make infusions:
- Dry the flowers in the shade.
- Then a tablespoon of flowers should be filled with a liter of boiling water.
- Infuse for 3 hours in a warm place.
- Take half a cup three times a day for half an hour before meals.
- The course of treatment is designed to take 4 liters of infusion.
Cancer Treatment Scheme Using Potatoes
The infusion prepared by any of the above-described methods carries a large concentration of solanine. This is why you should start taking small doses. The initial dose is 3 drops, diluted in a small amount of water. Take twice a day. If there is no discomfort, then the next day, you need to add 1 more drop. The amount of funds for the reception should be brought to 7 drops. Once this amount is reached, the reception is recommended to be stopped for several days. There is another scheme for the use of sprouts in malignant formations in the body:
- It is necessary to start with adding 1 drop of tincture to the cup of water.
- Take it three times a day before meals.
- Daily it is necessary to add one drop and bring their quantity to 15-25 drops.
The volume of tincture should be adjusted in relation to your own well-being. If there are no unpleasant sensations, then take it to the full recovery. With the appearance of the slightest changes, a break of 5 days is necessary. During this time it is advised to drink as much juice as possible, and then to continue taking.
Important: Tincture of potato sprouts from cancer can be used not only internally, but also externally. It can be heated and used as a rinse. It should be a heated substance, which is made from 100 ml of warm water and 15 drops of tincture. It can also be used for inhalation.
- Scientists have found that potato diet is useful for improving memory. After eating a portion of mashed potatoes, the glucose found in the potato enters the body, and after 15 minutes, the memory function improves.
- Contrary to popular belief, potatoes are not very caloric, one serving contains 110 calories.
- Curiously, the water content in potatoes is about 75-80%, depending on the variety. This is only slightly less than in milk.
- If you cook potatoes in jackets, this will save a great nutritional value. Before serving, the peel is better to peel.
- Potatoes can differ not only in taste, shape and size, but also in color. In addition to the usual white and yellow potatoes, there are also red, purple and even black. Unusual color is associated primarily with a high content of useful trace elements. For example, red-violet varieties are rich in anthocyanin, an antioxidant substance that protects against aging; in yellow potatoes there is a lot of carotene, improving vision. Black potatoes are just a storehouse of vitamins and minerals.