Vaginal candidiasis or thrush of vulva in women is a common disease, caused by yeast-like fungi of the genus Candida. The main, most characteristic symptom of the disease is a white coating of curdled consistency injuring organ. It is for this reason this pathology is also called thrush. Many women, who faced this disease, try to cure the ailment at home, using not only medicines, but also proven natural remedies.
Before you learn how to get rid of thrush at home, how to use the remedy to relieve the symptoms, you should familiarize yourself with the causes and clinical picture of the pathology. The causative agent of the disease, namely the fungus of the genus Candida, is present in the body of any healthy person. This fungus is localized in the intestines, the oral cavity, on the skin integuments and genital organs. Under the influence of certain factors, this microorganism begins to multiply, which leads to the emergence of candidiasis and the manifestation of symptoms. It is easy to distinguish thrush from other diseases due to the characteristic clinical picture.
Vaginal candidiasis has the following symptoms: severe itching in the vaginal area, which is markedly increased after sex, sleep, water activities; the presence of whitish cheesy discharge, sometimes having a sour smell; swelling of the genitals, redness; burning during urination; painful sensations during sexual intercourse.
Also on the skin a woman can notice ulcers, vesicles and microcracks, numerous scratching, which brings incredible discomfort. All of the above factors limit the sexual life of any woman. Treatment should be directed not only at the elimination of symptoms. It is necessary to completely cure the disease so that it does not subsequently encounter relapses.
- Natural remedy number 1: Soda solution
- Natural remedy number 2: Natural honey
- Natural remedy number 3: Kefir
- Natural remedy number 4: Propolis
- Natural remedy number 5: Oregano oil
- Natural remedy number 6: Herbal decoctions
- Natural remedy number 7: Garlic
- Natural remedy number 8: Carrot
- Special diet if you have thrush
- Top-6 tips how to prevent thrush before pregnancy
Natural remedy number 1: Soda solution
Soda solution helps to eliminate thrush. This remedy is not easily accessible but also incredibly effective. Soda solution helps to get rid of pathogenic manifestations of the disease. Fungus exists and multiplies in an acidic environment. Soda is an alkali. Penetrating into the acidic environment of the vagina, it dramatically changes the pH level to alkaline, making the environment unsuitable for the existence of a fungal infection.
How to treat thrush using soda:
- Treatment with soda solution can be done with douching.
- This procedure takes about twenty minutes. Douching is recommended by taking the position lying in the bathroom.
- When preparing a soda solution, you must strictly observe the proportions. For 1 liter of water, you need 1 tablespoon of baking soda and a few drops of iodine.
Important: This disinfecting antifungal solution is recommended to be used for 10 days.
Natural remedy number 2: Natural honey
An excellent remedy for thrush is the usual natural honey. This product allows you to quickly get rid of unpleasant external symptoms of thrush. Also, honey fights inflammatory processes, microbes and harmful bacteria. With the use of honey solution you can do douching and dampening. The course of honey treatment is 14 days.
Preparation of miracle solution: add boiled honey to the boiled water (one part of honey is taken into ten parts of water), stir thoroughly. Douching is recommended three times a day. Within two to three days of such therapy, the symptoms of the disease will be weakened. It is also possible to wet tampons in honey solution and enter into the vagina for half an hour. Such medical measures will help to get rid of burning, itching and irritation.
Important: Sexual intercourse should be avoided while the course of the treatment.
Natural remedy number 3: Kefir
Sometimes thrush of vulva is also observed in pregnant women, in this case natural remedies for the treatment of thrush come to the aid, taking into account the danger of many medicines for the future child. Those local medicines, the use of which is allowed during pregnancy, is practically not absorbed into the blood, and therefore their effectiveness is reduced to zero, since they act in the superficial layers of the vaginal mucosa, while the pathogen very often penetrates into the deeper layers. Natural remedies for thrush in this case are simply irreplaceable. When you suffer from thrush you may use ordinary kefir. This sour-milk drink creates a special environment in which bacteria cannot breed. Due to the effect of kefir, the negative flora is reduced.
To prevent the development and exacerbation of thrush, it is necessary to:
- Use this product on the daily basis.
- It can be used for syringing (take about two hundred milliliters of kefir).
- Before syringing it needs to be warmed up to a warm state.
- The procedure is carried out in the morning and in the evening for seven days.
It is not recommended to skip sessions. Otherwise, treatment will be less effective.
You can combine kefir with magnesia as such combination works well fighting against candidiasis. Magnesia is sold in any pharmacy in powder form. To prepare a medicinal mixture, take a spoonful of magnesia and dilute the powder in a liter of boiled water.
Important: Douche with the prepared solution in the evening before going to sleep, after which put the tampon, soaked in kefir, into the vagina.
Natural remedy number 4: Propolis
Propolis is good for the treatment of thrush. The bee glue has a bactericidal, bacteriostatic effect. With it, you can suppress the activity of the fungus and completely destroy it. To get rid of Candida fungus, you need to prepare a special tincture of propolis. To do this:
- 50 grams of this product must be cleaned, crushed, mixed with 80 ml of alcohol.
- Insist this solution for about ten days, stirring occasionally.
- After this time, filter the infusion with cotton wool.
- The genitals are washed with hydrogen peroxide, dried and smeared with infusion. You can also use the product for syringing.
Important: Use this propolis tincture on the regular basis daily till you feel the relief.
Natural remedy number 5: Oregano oil
When you have Candidiasis it will be effective to use the oregano oil. It is important that it does not contain alcohol.
There are two methods of using oregano oil in the combination of olive oil:
- For the external use, the essential oil is mixed with olive oil in proportions of 1: 1. A mixture of oils is applied in the evening to the affected area of the body. If there is burning or other manifestations of an allergic reaction, it is recommended to reduce the concentration of oregano oil.
- Intervalinal use of oil helps a lot: Pour into a capacity of fifty milliliters of olive oil, add two drops of oregano oil and stir. Take a swab, moisten it in solution and enter into the vagina for the whole night. The duration of such treatment is fourteen days.
Important: The oregano oil must be mixed with olive oil in order not to get a chemical burn. Olive oil should be taken first.
Natural remedy number 6: Herbal decoctions
Herbal decoctions are known to be very effective for the treatment of thrush symptoms. Choose the most suitable herb and follow instructions below:
- Calendula decoction: A teaspoon of calendula flowers is poured into a glass of boiling water and cooked for half an hour in a water bath. When the broth cools down, you can use it for syringing or you can drink it in half the glass on an empty stomach.
- Marigold infusion: 25 g of flowers are poured into 0.1 liter of alcohol. The obtained tincture should be diluted with water (1 tsp per glass) and used for syringing every evening.
- Tincture of St. John’s wort: two tablespoons of dried herb St. John’s wort are poured with two liters of boiling water and cooked in a water bath for about half an hour. Infusion is filtered, and then used for syringing.
- Sage and rosemary infusion: take sage and rosemary 20 grams each one and add 40 grams of oak bark, all herbs are poured with three liters of water and cooked for half an hour.
- Knotweed decoction: take 5 tablespoons of knotweed and add nettle (3 tablespoons), bark of oak (0.5 tablespoons) and chamomile (0.5 tablespoons), then pour the combination of these herbs with water and cook for five minutes on the stove.
- A chamomile decoction: a tablespoon of chamomile is filled with boiling water and insisted for 30 minutes, and then filtered. Decoction of chamomile is an excellent remedy that increases immunity and relieves candidiasis. In the flowers of chamomile there are special substances – saponins, which promote the increase of immunity. Pour one packet of chemist’s chamomile into a 2-liter thermos bottle, pour steep boiling water and let it brew for 6 hours. Then fill the tub with warm water and pour into it a well-filtered chamomile infusion. We take a bath for 45 minutes, periodically pouring hot water as it cools. The first week of treatment we perform the procedure every 3 days. To fix the result or prevention, you can take a bath once a week
- Oak bark decoction: three tablespoons of oak bark and two tablespoons of lime blossoms are poured with boiling water, and then infused for about half an hour, after what they are filtered.
Important: All natural herbal decoctions are known for being very effective. However, you should find the most suitable recipe individually and follow all proportions to get the desired result.
Natural remedy number 7: Garlic
Garlic is a popular antifungal agent, which helps to get rid of the signs of fungal infection. You can cure thrush with garlic water. After 3 days of treatment, the symptoms of yeast infection disappear. To make garlic water you will need to:
- take 2 small cloves of garlic, peel and blend them;
- the resulting gruel is transferred into a vessel,
- pour 1 liter of boiled warm water;
- do syringing using this solution in the morning and evening.
The course of treatment is 10 days. In severely neglected cases, therapy can be extended to 14 days.
Important: It is not recommended to apply this natural remedy if a woman is pregnant.
Natural remedy number 8: Carrot
Carrot is an effective natural remedy for the treatment of thrush. Its usefulness lies in the fact that cells of the vagina, afflicted with Candida fungus, lack beta-carotene, which strengthens the mucous membranes. For those who already suffer from it, it is recommended to do syringing:
- The first time you can use an infusion of berries, which have a sour taste and have a red color (for example, cranberries, viburnum, etc.),
- the second time it is recommended to use fresh carrot juice. Carrot juice is diluted with boiled water 1: 1.
The carrot juice syringe is able to nourish and strengthen the mucous membranes.
Important: Application of carrot juice 1-2 glasses a day before meals will protect the woman from thrush.
Special diet if you have thrush
An important condition for recovery is the normalization of acid-base balance in the intestine. To do this, you must adhere to a certain scheme of nutrition. To begin with, you need to decide which products to exclude from your daily ration. Among the harmful foods for thrush are the following:
- Various confectionery products;
- Flour, especially yeast dough products;
- Extremely spicy dishes;
Abandoning the above products, you can normalize the alkaline environment in the intestines, preventing further reproduction of Candida fungus.
In addition to banned food, there are many useful products, the use of which will increase the effectiveness of treatment. Often, for mild forms of candidiasis, doctors recommend to keep to a special diet and use healthy nutrition as the only method to get rid of thrush. So, in this simple way you can perform treatment of thrush at home.
By including in your diet the products recommended below, you can create an environment in which the Candida fungus cannot reproduce. So, during the treatment of thrush in your daily menu, you must have:
- Stewed and boiled vegetables, meat, seafood and poultry;
- Dairy products containing a sufficient number of bifidobacteria;
- Cereals and legumes;
- Fresh carrots;
- Such spices as cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves.
In addition to changes in diet, a good way to treat thrush is eating foods containing probiotics that are so called “friendly” bacteria, which can replenish the supply of natural bacteria in the human body. Many of these bacteria are destroyed during infection with thrush. Replenishment of their stock generates an environment hostile to the thrush, resulting in an excess of yeast fungi thrush dies. You can find probiotics without a prescription in the stores selling diet products. Some types of probiotics are designed in such a way that they can be preserved even under the influence of gastric acid. This allows them to penetrate further into the small and large intestine, where they continue their action. Another way to treat and prevent thrush is to consume products containing probiotics like yoghurt and buttermilk.
Important: Choosing yogurt, an excellent natural remedy for thrush, watch for the content of sugar in it. Have the one that either does not contain sugar at all, or produced using sugar substitutes.
Top-6 tips how to prevent thrush before pregnancy
During pregnancy the concentration of the hormone progesterone increases, which suppresses the immune system and weakens the protective functions of the body. As during pregnancy it is not possible to change the level of progesterone, all the prevention of thrush during pregnancy is to follow the general guidelines to minimize the risk of thrush. It should be noted that the prevention of thrush before pregnancy is mandatory, if a woman plans to become pregnant, then before becoming pregnant should take the following measures:
- Use contraception not in days favorable for conception.
- Minimize the possibility of infection with a bacterial or viral infection, because any kind of infection in itself weakens the immune system, and sometimes even for its treatment you have to take antibiotics.
- Strengthen the immune system by any accessible, convenient methods.
- Strictly adhere to the rules of intimate hygiene.
- Keep to a full, healthy diet with inclusion in its diet of fermented milk products.
- It is better to be in the fresh air, you can combine walks with light physical exertion.
If there is a suspicion of thrush, symptoms of the thrush have appeared some time before the planned pregnancy, then it must be treated, even if it does not cause uncomfortable sensations, but should be treated with those means and methods that will not subsequently have a negative effect on the fetus.
Important: If you plan pregnancy or already going to give a birth to a child and found out that you have thrush of vulva, then natural remedies are exactly what you need.