Depression is one of the most unpleasant conditions for everyone. Very important step is creating personal desire to recover and live a happy life. Unfortunately patients with mood disorders find it easier to consume antidepressants instead of natural cures. Even worse if this consumption is uncontrolled. It is recommended to see the doctor if you have depression however it doesn’t mean you will be definitely getting antidepressants. Doctors from many countries, including USA, concluded that depression is very successfully treated with herbs. This opinion is proven by centuries when herbs where used as an effective method of healing diseases. Here we will investigate what natural cures are healthy and effective way to overcome depression.
- The first herb: Knotweed
- The second herb: Chinese magnolia
- The third herb: Passionflower
- The fourth herb: Heather
- The fifth herb: Chicory
- The sixth herb: Motherwort
Depression is experienced differently by different people. Some of us are put to sleep others experience insomnia, inexplicable fatigue and impotence. When depression gets worse it influences mental and physical health, thinking and speech becomes slow. We feel that we do not want to talk to anybody, mood is changing constantly. Typically depression is the worst when it appears in April. In this struggle it is very effective to take a warm bath with knotweed.
Recipe of knotweed decoction
- Take 100-200 grams of dried, crushed into powder herbs.
- Pour herb with 1 liter of boiling water.
- Keep it boiling for 8-10 minutes.
- Leave it to cool.
- Strain herb through 1-2 layers of gauze.
- Squeeze herbs and gauze in order to get all the decoction. Gauze will absorb quite a lot of liquid and we do not want to lose any healing decoction.
- Pour the liquid into the bath of water and mix well.
The procedure should be repeated for 8 times. One procedure per day. Treatment is recommended to be 10-12 minutes long. Very important to have water temperature between 36-37.5 C. Knotweed is providing calming effect and is very beneficial for people struggling with depression.
Advice: Very effective addition to such bath is rubbing with salt water every morning. Tea spoon of sea salt should be dissolved in half a liter of water.
Such symptoms as mood swings, severe stress turmoil and prolonged depression require maximum attention. Using natural ingredients you can greatly improve your condition. Chinese magnolia (or Schisandra) helps to cope with emotions, improves your mood and increases the spirit. Treatment with this herb has few very good benefits: activation of adrenal function, increase of sexual desire and normalization of liver function. Also thanks to the Chinese magnolia infusion our body easier deals with toxins and harmful waste products which are accumulated in the gastrointestinal tract.
This herb can be consumed during the day but is not recommended to be taken in the evening. You can find almost in every pharmacy Chinese magnolia alcohol tincture. This drug is recommended for people struggling with loss of strength, low efficiency and depressed mood. The dosage is 20-30 drops 2 times a day. In severe cases it is allowed to exceed the dose up to 40 drops 2 times a day. However you can also prepare natural cure for depression at home. You just need to buy berries of Chinese magnolia.
Recipe of Schisandra infusion
- We will need 20 grams of dried and crushed berries.
- Pour berries with 100 ml of pure alcohol.
- Put everything into dark bottle and leave it in dark place.
- Make sure no direct light can reach the bottle.
- Leave the infusion to stay for 10 days in total. After 7 days you should open the bottle and squeeze the berries and leave them in the same bottle for another 3 days.
- Every day stir it and shake.
- In 10 days you should get transparent infusion.
This infusion should be consumed as a drug. Do not consume more than 20-40 drops 1-2 times a day. Usually it is recommended to start with 15 drops and step by step to increase the dose till 40 drops maximum. Usually this infusion is consumed dissolved in the teaspoon of water. You will feel effect of this natural cure in 40 minutes. It is recommended to have a course of treatment for 30 days.
Very important is to follow the recommendation of doses. If the infusion is consumed in quantities exceeding the required dosage patient may experience:
- depression of the central nervous system;
- high blood pressure;
- chest pain.
When side effect appear you should immediately stop consuming the infusion. With the right treatment this herb will not cause any side effects and you will experience improvement of your health, mood and nervous system.
Advise: Make sure you do not have following conditions as this herb has few contraindications: the nervous excitement, high blood pressure and cardiac abnormalities.
Even thou passionflower (or Passiflora) is on the third place in the ranking of sedatives it helps a lot with the growing sense of anxiety. Usually anxiety is treated with antidepressant drugs. However the best way to cure the anxiety along with depression is extract of passionflower. This natural cure for depression can be bought in the nearest pharmacy or easily made at home.
Recipe of passionflower infusion
- 1 teaspoon of herb should be poured with 150 ml of boiling water.
- In 10 minutes strain infusion through 1-2 layers of gauze.
- Your drink is ready as soon as it will get colder.
In order to achieve the best result it is recommended to consume drink immediately before sleep. If you will decide to use infusion from the pharmacy follow the instructions. Usually it is recommended to have 20-60 drops before bedtime.
Passionflower cures insomnia, reduces anxiety, fights spasms and various nervous disorders. Passiflora is used as a sedative for patients with neurotic complaints and vegetative disturbances. Passionflower is great help when patients have following complaints: increased irritability, nervousness, weakening of inhibitory reactions, sleep disturbances, palpitations and sweating.
Advice: This herb is not recommended during pregnancy and lactation.
This herb is great natural cure from various nervous disorders. Ling (or heather) helps to cope with anxiety, hysteria, insomnia, neuroses and depression. This herb provides soft and relaxing effect on the nervous system and significantly improves patient’s condition. In fact ling can be used to prevent your nervous system from any damage. In order to prevent various nervous disorders consume it when you have huge emotional or mental overload. Recent researches shown that ling is incredible remedy for depression. This herb brings back healthy sleep.
You can prepare some tasty and curing drinks yourself. Heather tea is great drink for the end of hard emotion day.
- Mix 50 grams of dried flowers (they can be bought in the pharmacy) with same amount of wild rose and 100 grams of strawberry leaves.
- Mix all the herbs and use them every day for your tea preparation.
- Use 10-15 grams of herbs mixture per one cup of boiling water.
- Mix your tea and leave it for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes drink will reveal all the flavor and you will be impressed how tasty it is.
This simple drink will give you so many benefits that it cannot be compared with anything. This tea can be consumed with some honey and it will help you easier to fall asleep. However you might not have wild rose or strawberry leaves at home. It is not a problem. Just brew a teaspoon of dried heather in a cup of boiling water, cover and wait for 10 minutes. The best time for such drink is immediately before bedtime.
Advice: There are just few contraindications to treatment with this herb: reduced stomach acidity, problems with often constipation and allergy to ling.
Often depression comes with few or more other nervous disorders. Chicory is very strong natural cure for various nervous and cardiovascular problems. Drink made from chicory root is absolutely amazing substitute for coffee as it contains no caffeine and has no contraindications. That is why chicory is best drink for people suffering from depression, insomnia and migraine.
Calming effect on the nervous system is so strong because of high content of vitamins of group B, potassium and iron. Such combination of benefits will definitely change your mood and make all your systems work better. When depression is very strong you can combine treatment by using both drink and bath with chicory.
Bath with chicory
- For the preparation of one procedure you will need 200 grams of dried and crashed into powder chicory roots.
- Pour chicory with 2 liters of boiling water.
- Cook the chicory for 10-15 minutes on low heat.
- Strain the liquid when it will cool through 2 layers of gauze.
- Remaining chicory squeeze well in order to get all the beneficial properties from it.
- Pour the broth into the bath.
Take this calming bath for 15-20 minutes, making sure you are staying it warm water. The water temperature recommended for this procedure is 36-38 C. In order to get maximum from this procedure repeat it for 6-8 times. Best time for such cure for depression is late evening.
Advice: If you have hemorrhoids, varicose veins or vascular disease consult with the doctor before starting treatment with chicory.
Motherwort is recommended for depressive disorders on the early stages. Very important is that this herb has no contraindications. This makes it very healthy and natural cure for depression. Motherwort is even used for the treatment of children.
Forms of treatment:
- Consumption of pills should be always discussed with the doctor.
- It is sold in the form of alcohol tincture. Dosage is dependable on the age of patient. Consumed diluted in water. Approximate ratio is 1 to 10.
- Herb in a form of powder. Is also available in fort of tea bags or just packed in 100-500 grams packages of powder. Such tea bag or teaspoon of herb can be poured with glass of hot water. You can drink this portion during the day by diluting it in your tea.
If you decide to drink such tea before sleep add some honey. In some cases water procedures with motherwort are providing even better effect. Bath with this herb will incredibly help on early stage of depressive disorders.
Bath with motherwort
- 200-300 grams of powder pour with 1,5 liters of water and cook on the low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain and leave broth to cool.
- Pour the broth into your bath and stir.
- One procedure should take approximately 15 minutes.
- Water temperature should be around 38 C.
After 10-12 such procedures you will experience lasting effect of calmness and good sleep.
Advice: Try tea made with motherwort, valerian and lemon balm in the proportions of 2:1:1. After few days of such treatment you will feel how it relieves insomnia and nervous overloads.