Snoring is not only medical but also social problem. Unpleasant loud noises prevent from having a rest everybody who is near the person suffering from this problem. Sometimes, it becomes even a pretext for conflict in families, and the cause of the forced isolation of the snoring person. Just imagine: this seemingly insignificant problem may become a reason when husband and wife sleep in different bedrooms. Sometimes snoring serves as grounds for divorce. In addition, snoring is not as harmless as it seems at first glance. It is proved that “snorers” have the worst quality of sleep compared to those who sleep quietly and that snoring reduces the person’s mental abilities. In addition, it can be complicated and cause the obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Are there any ways to stop snoring once and forever?
- Way to stop snoring number 1: Say ”no” to bad habits!
- Way to stop snoring number 2: Change your posture while sleeping
- Way to stop snoring number 3: Get rid of nasal congestion
- Way to stop snoring number 4: Exercises
- Way to stop snoring number 5: Natural homemade remedies
- Way to stop snoring number 6: Distilled water
- Way to stop snoring number 7: Hot drinks before going to bed
- Way to stop snoring number 8: Cure allergy
- Way to stop snoring number 9: Medication
- Way to stop snoring number 10: Modern devices from snore
- Way to stop snoring number 11: Surgery
First of all, you must try to radically change your lifestyle:
- You need to get rid of bad habits such as smoking and alcohol consumption. Smoke usually enhances snoring, since smokers suffer from chronic disease pharynx frequently. If you still have not yet stopped smoking, it is recommended not to smoke for at least 2-3 hours before bedtime. Alcohol is also known for being able to relax the muscles of the throat – hence the increase in snoring. In general, drinking alcohol should be at least 4 hours before bedtime, then you will not snore, but better, of course, completely abandon this habit.
- It is also suggested not to abuse various hypnotics – they also contribute to the relaxation of the throat muscles and the appearance of snoring.
- Another bad habit is eating too much – it is common to many people. The consequence of eating too often becomes obese, which in most cases leads to snoring. In obese people, the neck is always massive and thick – and it becomes a cause of snoring.
Important: If you know that you have extra weight, it is enough to lose only 10% of weight and you will already see positive results in the fight against snoring.
Snoring usually appears when the soft palate, tonsils, tongue and throat muscles at the back wall are rubbing against each other, thereby producing a vibrating sound during sleep. People snore, mostly lying on the back, so the posture during sleep should be changed:
- Try to sleep only on one side,
- It is also recommended to raise the head of the bed at least 10 cm,
- Put the rollers under the mattress where your head is situated.
There is a good way not to change your posture while sleeping to put the ball on the back. Sew on the back of the snorer’s pajama pocket and put the tennis ball inside. As a result, the violator of peace cannot simply lay down on his back and take a quiet position.
Important: If a person near you is snoring loudly, it is possible to turn him or her on the left or right side
Often the cause of snoring becomes stuffy nose. In this case, the effective way is to:
- use special nasal patches that facilitate breathing during the night,
- carry out a variety of inhalation, i.e. regular bedtime breathe over the warm steam.
Important: Take into account that the mentioned procedures will be effective only if the cause of snoring is nasal congestion.
As it has been already mentioned above, snoring often appears when muscles of the soft palate are relaxed in humans – it usually happens in obese people, as well as after the adoption of alcohol before going to bed as well as using any hypnotic drugs. Therefore, to get rid of snoring, in this case, it is necessary to simply strengthen these muscles. How to do this?
There is very effective exercise: Say the sound of “E” following the instructions:
- Strain muscles of the pharynx, the soft palate, as well as some of the neck muscles.
- Try to pull your tongue to the ground.
Perform this exercise every morning and evening for at least 25-30 times.
Important: The most important here is not to pronounce the sound louder, but to strain muscles as much as possible – the first results appear after 2 weeks.
Exercise 2: to strengthen the muscles of the lower jaw
Another simple but very effective exercise that is also easy to perform at home:
- put out tongue and stretch it as low as possible,
- try to get the tip of the chin with a tongue.
In this position, the tongue should be fixed for at least 30 seconds. Perform the exercise 30 times every day – 2-3 times.
Important: It perfectly strengthens the muscles of the lower jaw, which with age often moves back and causes snoring.
People believed that men have snore as a physiological condition that is caused by a particular hormonal structure. In men, this disease appears after age of 30, and women usually start suffering from snore after being 50 years old. The treatment of snoring with the help of the natural remedies doesn’t require the medical consultation because the recipes are simple and basically completely safe. The only thing you should pay attention is possible allergic reaction to some components of mouthwashes or decoctions.
Nowadays it is very popular to use treatments for snoring of the traditional medicine. Often, in order to get rid of snore the following recipe is used:
Recipe number 1: Cabbage plus Honey
- it is necessary to take 2-3 cabbage leaves,
- finely chop them,
- add 1 tablespoon of honey.
You can also simply pound cabbage leaf to mushy state very carefully, mix it with honey and eat before going to bed. The course of treatment is about 25-30 days.
Important: Eat this remedy for a month before going to bed, and you will notice results soon.
Recipe number 2: Olive oil
If the snoring is caused by a stuffy nose, the proven remedy for snoring is a gargle with olive oil. Olive oil has such useful functions as:
- elimination of the dryness of the throat,
- prevention of an injury to the respiratory tract.
Recipe to get rid of snoring with olive oil: Just before the bedtime, take 1 tablespoon of olive oil and thoroughly rinse the throat within 20-30 seconds.
Important: After 1-2 weeks there will be a noticeable relief.
Recipe number 3: aloe, agave and onion juice.
It is also very useful to lubricate the nasal mucosa with the aloe juice, agave or onion juice which has proven to have 100% result:
- Finely chop or grate the onion,
- Squeeze the juice,
- Take cotton tampons or gauze,
- Moisten them with fresh juice,
- Insert tampons in each nostril for 20-30 minutes.
Warning: In order not to burn the mucous membrane, onion juice can be diluted with a few drops of carrot juice.
Recipe number 4: Calendula tincture and oak bark
Follow the instructions:
- Mix the oak bark and flowers of calendula in the rate of one to one,
- Pour 2 tablespoons of mixture with the boiling water (0.5 liters),
- Leave the mixture for two hours and strain.
Important: It is recommended to gargle after eating and just before bedtime.
Recipe number 5: Decoction of herbs against snoring
To get rid of snoring using herbs, you will need to do the following:
- Take 2 tablespoons of burdock ordinary, 1 tablespoon of berries of black elderberry, 1 teaspoon horsetail.
- All this is thoroughly mixed and crushed.
- 1 tablespoon of the mixture should be poured with a glass of water (0.2 liters).
- Infuse for 40 minutes and strain.
Important: It is recommended to take 1 tablespoon 5-6 times a day.
Recipe number 6: Baked carrots to fight against snore
Eat baked carrots on the daily basis has proven to be efficient remedy for getting rid of the snoring problem. Use these tips to forget about snore:
- Eat carrots during 2-3 weeks.
- It is necessary to eat one hour before a meal.
Important: This natural remedy for snoring is simple, but very effective.
Recipe number 7: Sea buckthorn oil
Another effective way to get rid of snoring is the use of the sea buckthorn oil.
- Use 1 drop of oil for your nose,
- Repeat the procedure 4 hours prior to sleep,
- Excellent effect may be seen in 2-3 weeks.
Important: This way of getting rid of snoring has proved to be effective if you don’t miss a day.
Recipe number 8: Decoctions from fatigue
Often the reason of snoring is simple physical fatigue, which may occur, inter alia, in case of vitamin deficiency. Taking infusions and decoctions prepared of:
- the leaves of strawberries,
- rose hips,
Important: You will help the body to cope with fatigue and to stop snoring at the same time if it was the reason of the snore problem.
Recipe number 9: Therapy with medicinal plants
In some cases, it may be effective to try using the medicinal plants. The beneficial effects can be got from the tonic herbs like the following:
- The root of leuzea,
- the root of Eleutherococcus,
- Aralia root,
- rose hips,
- dandelion roots.
Important: Due to their properties the throat muscles longer remain in tonus during sleep, hence, snoring occurs rarely.
Also, traditional medicine recommends drinking water to fight against snore. Follow simple rules:
- the water must be distilled,
- It is necessary to drink not less than a glass per hour,
- The result will appear in case of drinking it on the daily basis.
Important: Distilled water contributes to the output of all the mucus from the body.
It is recommended to drink:
- Warm water with honey as it helps to cover the trachea wall.
- A cup of hot milk with a pinch of turmeric and pepper is also a good option.
- Drink green tea.
- Tea that contains chamomile.
If you notice that you snore mostly in spring and summer, brew tea from the leaves of stinging nettles. This is a great antihistamine that helps to cope with an allergic reaction to pollen and poplar fluff.
Important: Such drinks will help to keep the trachea open.
Often the cause of snoring is an allergy:
- It results in a lack of oxygen in lungs.
- Shortness of breath inevitably causes snoring.
- Curing of snore requires treating allergy first.
Important: Remove all contact-allergenic substances from you.
Often snoring occurs or worsens due to acute and chronic respiratory diseases. In these cases, the right kind of treatment scheme should include the following drugs:
All of them can improve the condition of patients.
It is possible to use means for the short term relief of the nasal congestion which improve nasal breathing, for example, sprays and nose drops with corticosteroids and topical formulations with the vasoconstrictor action.
Get rid of snoring with the help of drugs can also be the case if it is provoked by the hypothyroidism: just enough to make thyroid hormones, recommended by an endocrinologist.
Important: Rejection of the use of sleeping pills can become a victory over snoring for those people who take them often.
There are several innovations for those who suffer from snore. They are also can be tried in case you don’t have time or wish to prepare all other remedies which have been already mentioned above. The list is not so numerous but still there are several devices you may get acquainted with:
1. Insertion for mouth – increases the size of the breathing passages. Such thing is made for each person individually, it should be positioned so that the lower jaw is placed forward all the time.
2. Spray from snore- it is used at bedtime (2-3 injections into the throat). Thanks to trim enveloping mucous vibration of the larynx decreases, this action continues throughout the night. It is not allowed to drink after treatment of the throat as the drug will be ineffective. Contraindications to the use of spray:
- pregnant women,
- people who drank alcoholic beverages on the eve before using this treatment.
3. Clip snoring – it is worn on the ear before going to sleep, it affects the nerve endings of the nasal cavity, thus eliminating snoring. Clips are made of magnet or silicone.
Important: All these methods are effective but they don’t provide 100% guarantee as well as other remedies.
If the main cause of snoring is in the anomalies of the structure of the upper respiratory tract, for example, too long uvula, then, having surgery, the patient can get rid of snoring or significantly reduce its severity. Operation is carried out using a scalpel, laser, liquid nitrogen. It is important to understand that to get rid of snoring surgically it is possible only in case if the patient doesn’t suffer from the sleep apnea (breathing stops during sleep syndrome). Otherwise, the operation is more likely to harm than help. Unfortunately, this often occurs due to the fact, that patients and physicians overestimate the efficiency of surgical intervention.
A number of patients with uncomplicated snoring and obstructive sleep apnea of the mild to moderate severity may use palatal implant system, which reinforces the soft palate tissue that helps to reduce the volume and the representation of snoring, as well as to lower the respiratory tract incidence of obstruction at the level of the soft palate.
An intervention’s success largely depends on the careful selection of patients, taking into account contraindications:
- severe degree of sleep apnea,
- hypertrophy of the tonsils.
It is especially important to carry out polysomnography or cardiorespiratory monitoring in order to avoid severe obstructive sleep apnea, in which this procedure is not effective.
Important: Typically, the use of implants can be recommended for not more than 30% of patients with snoring and sleep apnea.