Great concern for expectant mothers is influenza, because it can cause complications of pregnancy and various violations in the development of the fetus. Although, such unpleasant consequences are usually caused by a severe form of flu. During pregnancy, it is necessary to take all possible measures to avoid the disease. However, if you have been infected, you should treat the disease using effective safe methods. Want to know which? You are welcome to learn more about the successful flu treatment as well as the working preventive measures.
- Step number 1: Check out whether you have flu symptoms
- Step number 2: Follow a diet rich in vitamins
- Step number 3: Drink more than usually
- Step number 4: Rinse throat with herbal decoctions
- 5 Tips for Preventing Flu when You are Pregnant
Step number 1: Check out whether you have flu symptoms
Symptoms of flu are known to everyone, however, it is better to check them out to make sure that you have a flu. Sure, that pregnant women are recommended to see a doctor when something disturb but what to do if there is no such a possibility at the moment? Then, you should identify whether it is a flu or some other disease as the faster you start treating it, the less dangerous it wil be for the fetus.
Look at the symptoms, which accompany flu:
- high fever,
- runny nose,
The flu is caused by a very specific virus belonging to the family of orthomixoviruses. Influenza cannot be infected simply by getting wet feet – this infection penetrates the body by airborne droplets from the infected person. The influenza virus, having got into the body, begins to multiply rapidly, and is carried by a current of blood throughout the body. In this case, the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract is destroyed, which after that cannot perform its protective functions. That is why the number of complications of influenza includes pneumonia, bronchitis, otitis, sinusitis. From the side of the cardiovascular system, an inflammatory disease of the heart muscles sometimes develops, which can lead to heart failure. Actually, it is because of its complications that the flu is dangerous during pregnancy. Start treating it as soon as possible.
Important: The most unpleasant thing is the threat of miscarriage or premature birth. In addition, the bacterial infection, pneumococcal, hemophilic, and staphylococcal, often settle in the body weakened by the flu. Often, there are exacerbations of chronic diseases, such as bronchial asthma and chronic bronchitis, cardiovascular diseases, metabolic disorders, kidney diseases, etc.
Step number 2: Follow a diet rich in vitamins
Pregnant woman should keep to a rational diet consuming only foods that are rich in vitamins. The preference should be given to the predominance of milk-carbohydrate foods with the restriction of table salt content (dairy products are recommended ). In the absence of edema, a plentiful drink (compote, fruit juices, etc.) is recommended. It is necessary for removing toxins from the body.
What to include in your ration:
- Vitamins-antioxidants. Vitamins-antioxidants include beta-carotene, vitamins A, C, E, which are part of fruits and vegetables. During a flu, a pregnant woman should eat more foods rich in beta-carotene (dried apricots, carrots, asparagus, beets, broccoli, melons, mangoes, peaches, pink grapefruit, pumpkin, mandarin, tomato, watermelon). Vitamin A is abundant in animal products: liver, egg yolk, butter. From products-sources of ascorbic acid to the future mother in the period of illness it is desirable to eat daily black currant (you can have the frozen currant), sweet red pepper, greens, briar infusion. From foods rich in vitamin E, which also support the antiviral protection of the expectant mother, it is necessary to consume salmon, unrefined vegetable oil, sunflower seeds, sprouted wheat grains, almonds, peanuts, cedar and hazelnuts. However, considering that nuts and seeds are quite heavy for digesting food, then for a pregnant woman their amount should be limited to 25-30 g per day.
- This substance also has antioxidant properties and is necessary for the body of a future mother to fight respiratory infections, as it stimulates the immune system of a pregnant woman. In the course of scientific research, it was shown that the regular use of products containing zinc in the early stages of the cold reduces the duration of the manifestation of the disease. Such products include sprouted wheat grains, beef liver, lentils, as well as eggs, beef, nuts, seafood, flax seeds and sunflower seeds.
- To enhance the activity of the immune system of the pregnant woman in the menu, you can include foods rich in flavonoids (these are vegetative biologically active substances that enhance antimicrobial protection of the body). A large number of bioflavonoids are found in the flesh of citrus fruits (lemons, oranges), Bulgarian sweet peppers, cherries, broccoli, and red and yellow onions.
- Glutathione enhances the activity of the immune system, which contributes to the fight against a viral infection. This powerful antioxidant is found in large quantities in garlic, onions, veal, spinach, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and walnuts.
A pregnant woman suffering from flu should limit fatty, fried and ,marinated in vinegar, meat, smoked meat. These dishes aren’t healthy. Moreover, in the cold period they overload the already strained liver and pancreas. Meat should be lean, from fats you can only butter and vegetable oil, which is better to add to the ready meals. Also, in case of illness, it is necessary to exclude foods that enhance the processes of fermentation in the intestine (sweet grapes, pears) and contain coarse indigestible fiber (fresh cabbage).
Approximate Menu for Pregnant Women for the period of flu
Such a menu will ease the acute phase of the disease and accelerate recovery:
- 1st breakfast: oatmeal porridge, green tea with lemon and honey.
- 2 nd breakfast: steam omelet, decoction of rose hips.
- Lunch: vegetable soup garnished with chicken soup (half portion), meat meat balls, porridge rice viscous (half portion), compote of mashed berries.
- Afternoon snack: kefir or drinking yogurt.
- Supper: braised fish with potatoes, vinaigrette, green tea with honey, the baked apple.
Important: Black coffee and strong tea should be replaced with more useful drinks because they will promote dehydration of the body.
Step number 3: Drink more than usually
If a woman has a temperature, then together with sweat, she loses a lot of fluid, and it needs to be replenished, but, of course, in moderation. In addition, a sufficient amount of water will help to remove toxins from the body, which inevitably form in the course of illness. On average, during pregnancy without complications, the amount of fluid consumed during a flu can be increased by 150-200 ml.
- So, in the first and at the beginning of the second trimester of pregnancy, a woman needs 2-2.5 liters of fluid.
- But remember that by “liquid” is meant not only water, but also liquid first dishes, liquid sauces. This is also the water contained in vegetables and fruits. It quenches thirst well and replenishes the vitamin-mineral balance, which is disturbed in case of illness, a glass of water, in which 1-2 tbsp. spoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- If the disease occurred after the 20th week of pregnancy, when the load on the heart, kidneys and other organs of a pregnant woman is increased, the amount of fluid should be reduced to 1.5-2 liters (taking into account the state of health).
Drink water with small sips, retaining the liquid in the mouth: this is how the absorption of water proceeds more fully and evenly. This is explained by the fact that the center of the brain reacting to the replenishment of the fluid “works” in the same way as the saturation center: the response to the signal for replenishment of the liquid will follow only after a while. Therefore, if you drink quickly and with large sips, the body simply does not have time to react to it and for some time you will still want to drink. If you drink slowly with colds, you quench your thirst faster and with less fluid.
Drinks should be warm or at room temperature. Obviously, from cold drinks you should refrain. As a drink, a pregnant woman is recommended to have the liquid milk and sour-milk products, such as milk, yogurt, kefir – 1-2 glasses per day; a glass of fresh fruit or vegetable juice. Instead of the usual coffee and tea – an infusion of hips or hawthorn. It is recommended to drink bottled mineral water with low mineralization.
Important: However, keep in mind that if you are suffering from swelling, then it is necessary to agree with the doctor the amount of fluid used. In any case, the drinking regime is unique for every future mom.
Step number 4: Rinse throat with herbal decoctions
When a woman expects a baby and has been infected, then it is necessary to start treating the throat actively as this is the place when pathogens live. When having a flu, it is recommended rinsing the throat with herbal decoctions:
- infusion of chamomile (1 tablespoon pour a glass of boiling water, boil for 10 minutes, then the resulting solution strain and gargle);
- infusion of calendula (the way of cooking is the same as for chamomile);
- infusion sage medicinal (1 tablespoon chopped leaves brew 1 glass of boiling water, leave for 30 minutes, drain and rinse throat);
- infusion of elderberry Siberian (3-4 tablespoons of flowers should be poured by a glass of boiling water. Boil on low heat for 10-15 minutes, then strain and gargle.
Important: To rinse the throat, you can safely use a solution of Furacilin. In the pharmacy you can buy a ready-made solution and dilute it at a rate of 1: 1 (half a cup of solution per half-glass of warm water) or make the solution yourself, based on 4 tablets of Furacilin per 800 ml of water. Tablets should be poured with boiling water and wait for their complete dissolution. It is also possible to rinse with baking soda – 1 teaspoon per glass of water.
5 Tips for Preventing Flu when You are Pregnant
Methods of preventing influenza can be divided into two groups: the so-called nonspecific, increasing the overall resistance of the body to infections, and a specific method – vaccination, which involves the formation of protection specifically against influenza. Consider the most common prevention methods recommended to pregnant women.
Let’s talk about the nonspecific:
- Cold acclimation. The arsenal of methods of cold acclimation, the use of which is permissible during pregnancy, is quite wide. This is a long walk in the fresh air, air baths with morning exercises for 10 to 15 minutes at an air temperature of 18 to 20 degrees, rinsing the neck, upper chest, hands along the entire length of cool water at a temperature of 14-16 degrees, contrasting shower for feet, rinsing throat with cool water, etc. The main thing is not to overdo it. Begin the procedure from the temperature of the water or air, at which you feel comfortable. The procedure should not be unpleasant to you. If you have decided to temper, you need to do it systematically.
- Vitamins A, B and especially C. Do not exceed the average doses of these vitamins recommended for pregnant women, simply ensure their continued intake of food or multivitamin preparations. Consumer more foods rich in vitamin C and safe from the point of view of allergic reactions, for example, yellow grapefruits and fresh cabbage.
- Garlic. The antiseptic properties of garlic are well known, however, refrain from the systematic use of garlic, especially its concentrates in the form of tablets. Better finely chop fresh, peeled garlic cloves, place them on saucers and arrange in the room where you are. In this case, phytoncides, the active substances that kill or suppress the growth of microbes, can fully demonstrate their protective properties.
- Plant stimulants of immunity (echinacea, eleutherococcus, ginseng, aralia). They should be used with caution, since the mechanism of their action on immunity is not fully understood. In addition, you may have allergic reactions, increased blood pressure. If you want to use one of the stimulants, you are recommended to consult your doctor.
- Homeopathic remedies recommended as measures to prevent respiratory infections. As a rule, they are aimed at stimulation of immunity, which is why they should be applied with caution. It is advisable to consult a homeopath and / or your gynecologist before you start taking any mentioned remedy to be on the safe side.
It is always better to prevent disease than to treat it. That’s why you should follow the tips if you don’t want to have any negative consequences. Now you are responsible for both yours and baby’s health, that’s why you should follow the tips found here and use the methods for the flu treatment.