Indigestion or dyspepsia is the most common cause of seeing a doctor – physician and gastroenterologist. Each of us has experienced indigestion, stomach pain, bloating and excessive gas in life. These problems may happen after a hearty dinner, when the body cannot fully digest the received food, the digestive process is slowed down and we are tormented by the severity and other unpleasant symptoms.
Severe digestive problems are obvious, if complications occur after a meal every day and do not stop for a few months. While indigestion usually occurs only once after a hearty dinner or lunch it can be easy dealt with. However, flatulence is very common and often accompanies indigestion. This annoying problem complicates normal activity of the stomach, especially if it has the chronic nature.
Indigestion is characterized by very unpleasant symptoms which can prevent you from going to work or enjoying holidays. It is recommended to see a doctor in case of experiencing the indigestion symptoms but sometimes it is impossible to do immediately due to the ill-being when you can’t leave the room. In this case it is useful to be aware of folk remedies which are prepared from the completely natural products and are always at hand. In this article you are going to find out more about the effective recipes being able to help you in getting rid of the unwanted dyspepsia signs.
- Symptoms of indigestion
- 6 Reasons of indigestion
- How to get rid of indigestion symptoms quickly
- Top-15 Homemade Recipes for Indigestion
- Effective Diet to Get Rid of Indigestion.
- How to prevent indigestion
- How not to suffer from indigestion
There is a list of symptoms which are common for such condition as dyspepsia:
- pain or discomfort in the epigastric (upper middle abdomen)
- rapid saturation,
- bloating (flatulence).
Dyspepsia symptoms can be either related to the food intake or physical activity or be not connected.
Discomfort can be described as an unpleasant feeling which is not regarded by the patient as pain, but it has many shades (sensation of fullness, heaviness, heat). Another unpleasant sensation is a satiation. It is the feeling of satiety after eating small amounts of food that does not give the opportunity to eat until the end of the normal daily portion of food. The symptoms of dyspepsia are not associated with impaired colonic function (Reduction or disappearance of symptoms after a bowel movement).
Important: Dyspepsia or indigestion is not a specific syndrome and can occur both in functional disorders and with organic lesions of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Hurried meal: Digestive juices do not manage to stand out. Food is chewed and mixed with the digestive enzymes of saliva in the wrong way.
- Certain foods.Some foods may provoke indigestion especially if a person has individual intolerability.
- The use of certain beverages: Carbonic acid and sugar in some beverages can cause bloating and flatulence. Caffeine increases gastric acidity and irritate inflamed areas (the same is an action of alcohol), and in addition, caffeine stimulates the release of stress hormones.
- Stress: Stresses impair digestion as they are associated with the release of hormones (in particular, epinephrine and cortisone), which redistribute the bloodstream from the digestive tract into the muscle. Stress also contributes to swallow air while eating (aerophagia)
- Physical activity after eating: It redistributes the bloodstream from the digestive tract to the muscles.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents.
Important: If you have the indigestion symptoms, it is necessary to define which cause could lead to it in order to treat it more effectively.
The most obvious consequence of malnutrition is a growing number of gastrointestinal disorders in a population. There is no doubt that most of us are digging their own grave with a knife and fork. And today, the wrong food cannot be explained by poverty, population, at least in the industrialized countries. On the contrary, most Westerners are suffering from the symptoms of indigestion due to the excessive consumption of harmful products.
As a result, today there is a silent epidemic gastro-intestinal epidemy, including indigestion, irritable bowel syndrome, gastric microbial infections, ulcers, Crohn’s disease, colitis, candidiasis and chronic fatigue syndrome.Regardless, if you have gastrointestinal problems at the moment, a proper adjustment of the digestive system is sure to bring you a lot of benefits in terms of improving the overall health and increase energy levels.
It is better to get a consultation of a doctor before using any drugs. However, it is not always convenient to go to the doctor in case of having nausea or pain in the epigastric. Such conditions require immediate reaction and folk remedies are exactly what is necessary to get a relief. By the way, even doctors often complement the treatment with drugs by folk remedies. If you need to eliminate the disease symptoms, it is necessary to use medicinal plants, herbs, fruits and bee products. There are many effective means to eliminate the symptoms of indigestion but we are going to talk about the most effective.
Treatment of indigestion with the folk remedies include the use of the following compounds:
Recipe number 1:
- Take 625 grams of honey,
- Add 375 grams of aloe,
- Add 675 grams of red wine.
- Grind Aloe and mix it with other ingredients.
- Take 1 teaspoon during the first five days and then increase the dose to 2 tablespoons a day before meals.
Important: In order to get rid of indigestion problems caused by some disease the duration of taking this remedy should be up to 2 months;
Recipe number 2:
- Take 100 grams of barley kernels,
- Add the pears and cook for 4 in 1 liter of water.
- This should be done in 20 minutes.
Important: Cool, strain and drink this remedy for eliminating the burping.
Recipe number 3:
- Grind the root of elecampane,
- pour a cup of boiling water
- leave it for 8 hours.
- strain and drink before eating 1/4 cup
Important: the duration of the course is 2 weeks to get the desired effect
Recipe number 4:
- Mix sweet flag root,
- add peppermint leaves,
- add dandelion and valerian root in the ratio of 3: 2: 1: 1.
- take 4 teaspoons of the mixture,
- add 2 cups of boiling water,
- boil it for 10 minutes,
- then strain the mix.
Important: The mix should be taken 2 times per day.
Recipe number 5:
- Take equal parts of mint,
- take chamomile,
- add sage and yarrow
- 1 teaspoon of mix should be poured with the boiling water.
- leave the mix for half an hour
Important: it is recommended to drink the mix 1/2 cup 2-3 times a day.
Recipe number 6:
- Take 1 tablespoon of dried minced kidney poplar (black poplar)
- Pour it with 1-1.5 cups of boiling water,
- Let it stay for about 15 minutes
- Filter the drink
- Drink a third of a cup 3 times a day.
Important: You can also use a tincture: 1tablespoon of the raw pour with the 1/2 cup of 40% pure alcohol, leave it for a week and then filter. It is recommended to take 20 drops 3 times a day.
Recipe number 7:
- Take 10 g of root of blackberry bush
- Boil it in half a liter of water to evaporation of 1\3 of the volume of liquid.
- Filter the broth
- mix it with the same amount of red wine
It is recommended to take it every 4 hours in small quantities, if the digestion process is inactive. A mixture of blackberry leaves and calendula flowers (2 h. Spoons) should be steamed in a liter of boiling water.
Important: To get the necessary effect it is recommended to drink half a cup before or after meals.
Recipe number 8:
- Take celery (3-4 g celery root)
- Pour it with one liter of water,
- Let it stay for 8 hours
- Filter it
It is allowed to take it several times per day. There are also other recipes which are based on the main ingredient- celery: a spoon of seeds should be poured with the 2 cups of boiling purified water, in 2 hours it should be filtered. It is recommended to take 2 spoons several times per day.
Important: One more effective recipe that can be also used for the dyspepsia treatment is using the fresh juice of the roots and to drink it several times per day on the regular basis.
Recipe number 9:
Take cumin and oregano if you need to improve digestion immediately, especially, it is actual for holidays and when there is a table full of various fatty food. In this case the combination of cumin and marjoram is going to be effective and easy in the preparation.
To make the decoction it is necessary to follow the recipe:
- take a couple of spoons of pounded seeds of caraway and marjoram
- fill it with a cup of boiling water,
- let it brew for 15 minutes
Important: It is recommended to drink half a cup of the preparation twice per day.
Recipe number 10:
- Take 10 g of berries of fennel
- Fill the cup of fennel with the boiled water
- Heat it for 15 minutes,
- Then cool to the room temperature,
- Bring the volume of the resulting broth to 200 ml.
Important: It is recommended to drink the fennel preparation in equal portions several times during the day to get rid of the digestion problems.
Recipe number 11:
This remedy is used not only for digestion problems as dill is effective for hiccups, as the remedy for soothing cough and getting rid of flatulence.
- Take a dill
- Pour grains with a cup of boiling water
- Then let it brew for 30 min
- Then carefully decant it
Important: It is necessary to take the remedy in small amounts 5 times per day 15 minutes before having meals. Broth also has a slight diuretic action.
Recipe number 12:
Honey and herbs are efficient for improving the metabolic processes in the body.
Prepare the following remedy for the treatment of dyspepsia and the regulation of the bowel activity as well as for solving the problem with the pain.
Mix the medicinal herbs following the recipe:
- Mix 15 g of fennel fruit and rhizome marshy,
- Add 20 g of valerian rhizomes.
- Fill a cup with the boiling water
- Put a few grams of the mixture in the cup
- Let it stay it in a closed iron bowl during 15 minutes.
- Drink 3/4 cup twice a day: in the morning and in the evening.
Important: Decoction relieves inflammation, leads to normal digestion. Pain after such a treatment to stop.
Recipe number 13:
To treat intestinal colic, flatulence and colitis which can be the symptoms of indigestion a decoction of such herbs as yarrow, sage, mint and chamomile should be prepared in equal proportions.
- Take all herbs and mix them
- Take a teaspoon of the mixture and brew it in boiling water
- Let it stay for about 15-30 min
Important: It is recommended to drink 1/2 cup 2-3 times a day.
Recipe number 14:
To get rid of intestinal colic it is possible if to prepare the tincture including the following ingredients:
- Take the wormwood or the therapeutic mugwort
- Pour herbs with a cup of boiling water
- Leave the mix for 35 minutes,
- Then filter it
Important: It is necessary to adjust the dosage individually based on the patient’s preferences.
Recipe number 15:
In order to prepare the effective mix of herbs it is necessary to follow such steps:
- Take 4 teaspoons of the grass knotweed sheet (3 parts),
- Add goose grass caskets (1 part),
- Add plantain leaves (2 parts)
- Brew 2 cups of boiling water,
- Leave for 30 min and then filter
Important: The mix is recommended to be used on-demand.
Popular wisdom says: “We are what we eat.” A balanced diet and the healthy lifestyle, timely treatment of diseases of the digestive tract, of course, not only affect the appearance, but will provide a person with good life quality and health.
There are some tips on what products should be contained in your ration in order not to suffer from indigestion. Follow this diet to get rid of indigestion symptoms quickly and effectively:
- 1 tablespoon of ground seeds or 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, cold pressed. It is necessary to take buckthorn bark, wood, fruit, anise, herbs, medicinal yarrow, common mustard seed, licorice root. Mix all ingredients and brew it with 1 cup of boiling water, boil it for 10 minutes and then filter. It is recommended to drink 1/2 cup in the morning and evening.
- Use the root of valeriana officinalis, add peppermint leaves, flowers and herbs, medicinal chamomile, calendula flowers, mix all herbs in equal proportions, leave the tablespoon of a cup of boiling water in a thermos overnight, then filter it. It is recommended to be taken in the dose of 1/3 glasses for a period of 30 min in case of bloating (or enhanced flatulence).
- 3 servings of beans, lentils, quinoa, tofu (soy) or “seed” vegetables.
- 3 servings of fresh fruits such as apples, pears, bananas, berries, melons or citrus.
- 4 servings of foods from the raw grains of cereals like brown rice, rye, oats, millet, wheat, maize, as well as bread or pasta from wheat flour.
- 3 servings of fruit, leafy vegetables and root vegetables such as watercress, carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, spinach, green beans or peppers.
- 1 liter of water, diluted juices, herbal or fruit teas.
- During the treatment of indigestion it is possible to eat eco-friendly raw foods.
- Avoid sugar in any form, refined or processed products with chemical additives.
- Avoid all stimulants: coffee, tea, cigarettes
Important: You will notice the result in case of following this healthy tips within the short period of time (from 1 month to 3 months).
It is always better to prevent the problem than to treat it. Indigestion is usually a consequence of malnutrition. That’s why keep to the healthy diet and you will get rid of the indigestion symptoms effectively.
That’s why use these tips on how to prevent the unwanted symptoms of indigestion:
- Avoid foods made from wheat, including bread, pasta, cookies, cakes, most breakfast cereals, pizza. Wheat flour is also a part of many sauces and creams.
- When you have symptoms of indigestion, avoid red meat. As sources of protein fish, soy products, white chicken meat and cheese are more preferable.
- Do not eat while standing or on the move.
- Do not mix different types of products in the same dish, it will not help in the treatment of indigestion.
- Do not drink more than one cup of water During the meal.
- Limit alcohol consumption in two portions twice a week.
- In case of having symptoms of indigestion red wine may be helpful.
- When you eat, relax and chew food.
Important: If the treatment of folk remedies does not help, it is important to seek medical advice – only by a specialist to identify the disease, which has led to the problem and to choose the drugs for its treatment.
Follow the rules below and your life will be free from indigestion symptoms:
1 Avoid stress
It is scientifically proven that the stomach is an organ which is very sensitive to emotional turmoil. If a person experiences stress, being in a state of nervous crisis or depression, stomach begins to react with pain, inflammation, indigestion and flatulence. A calm and measured way of life, a way out of stress and harmonization of the internal state has a beneficial effect on digestion.
2. Healthy eating habits
Healthy eating is a key point of solving the problems of indigestion. Poorly chewed food provokes slowing the digestive process and causes the body to expend more energy to digest food. It is necessary to chew foods as more air comes with the large parts of food, which subsequently leads to the formation of flatulence. Food intake should be done slowly, without haste, with careful chewing, so we facilitate the work of stomach and feel faster saturation. It is also important to reduce the amount of water and not drink during lunch or dinner, as liquid dilutes the gastric juices, complicating food processing.
3. Relax in the afternoon
Good idea which is supported by doctors and nutritionists – relax after the main meal, and allow the body to direct energy to digest. Avoid exercise after lunch (dinner) and relax for a while. The best thing would be to take a prone position on the couch or in a chair. But the maximum health benefits can be brought by siesta, day bed rest or sleep after a balanced meal.
4. Take medicines correctly
Many drugs have a negative effect on digestion, so far as possible they should be replaced by harmless folk remedies. If necessary, the daily administration of any medication should take place after a meal. So you can avoid problems with indigestion.
5. Maintain a healthy diet
A balanced diet is the basis for good digestion. Some products may be too “heavy” for our stomach. If you often notice the appearance of heartburn, bloating or pain, give up the sharp, acidic and fatty foods, reduce fat or consumption of food, provokes indigestion. Also it is necessary to reduce the amount of alcohol, carbonated drinks, fast food and snacks, and to quit smoking.
6. Avoid eating before bedtime
Many people have a bad habit snack before bedtime, which complicates the work of the digestive tract. It is recommended to finish the meal at least three hours before bedtime.
Using these tips in your life will greatly help in digestion and in getting rid of unpleasant symptoms including flatulence.
Important: Frequent occurrence of indigestion symptoms may indicate serious problems. If you experience pain in the stomach, heaviness and flatulence more than two times a week, consult your doctor. The specialist will diagnose and determine the degree of seriousness of the problem (if the reason is, for example, a symptom of irritable stomach, infection, allergic reaction to food or some types of cancer).