Want to know what is the fastest way to get rid of a cold? This article is devoted to the treatment of cold with natural homemade remedies which are an effective method to fight both cold symptoms (sore throat, stuffy nose, temperature, cough, weekness) and the disease in its various stages. Even professional doctors say that treatment of the common cold in its early stages with the help of traditional medicine is better than drugs because such remedies don’t harm the liver and digestive organs. However, it is much easier to prevent a disease than to treat it, that’s why in the spring and autumn, when the body is weakened and less resistant to infection, it is recommended to eat a lot of vegetables and fruits not to have a lack of vitamins. But if you have suddenly fallen ill, don’t worry as if to start using natural remedies at once, the disease will soon go away.
- The first method: Aromatic essential oils
- The second method: Inhalation with sage
- The third method: Using humidifier
- The forth method: Facial massage
- The fifth method: Diet for strengthening immunity
- The sixth method: Fasting
- The seventh method: Drink a lot of fluid
- The eighth method: Folk remedies
- The main principles of treatment of any cold
Aromatic oils have a favourable effect on our body. They can be used instead of perfume by dripping on the wrist or add an oil in the aromatic lamp. Antibacterial and antiviral effect can be got by using the following oils:
- pine oil,
- lemon oil
- cardamom oil
Important: To get the desired effect, it is necessary to use this method during several days in case you are not allergic to aromatic oils.
To prepare the sage inhalation it is necessary to follow the recipe here:
- take a handful of herbs
- pour them in two cups of boiling water,
- cook the mixture for 15-20 minutes on low heat,
- cool the mixture.
Lower your head over a saucepan, cover with a towel and breathe in the steam for 10-20 minutes. It is important that the steam doesn’t burn and damage mucosa.
Important: It is necessary to exhale air to the side to make the germs leave.
High humidity is necessary as cold viruses feel great in the dry environment – this is another reason why cold and flu are most common in the winter. Dry air also dries the mucous membranes, causing nasal congestion and sore throat. Humidifier may increase the humidity in the house, but, as a result, may also increase the number of mold, fungi and bacteria if not conduct a thorough cleaning.
Important: Perform daily replacement of water in the humidifier and clean the house at least once every three days.
It is proved that properly performed facial massage is an excellent remedy in the fight against colds. It can be done at home, spending just 20 minutes per procedure.
Follow the instructions:
- Bend your index fingers, lightly pressing massage the wings of the nose, make a few quick circular motions.
- At the same time massage the skin under the eyes with both hands (palms, making a circular motion from the back of the nose to the corners of the mouth.
- Then go to the forehead. The skin in this area should be massaged with fingertips, making a circular motion from the center to the temples.
- At the end rub the skin of the palms at the bottom of the chin.
Important: To make it even more effective, massage experts advise repeating the procedure three or four times per day.
It is necessary to take care of what you eat while you suffer from a cold as the organism needs strength to fight against virus. According to the scientists from the University of Munich the following foods may help you to recover from cold efficiently:
- the chicken broth, which has excellent anti-inflammatory effect,
- herbal teas from blackcurrants, chamomile, sea buckthorn, cranberry, wild rose.
- orange juice.
In order to get rid of a cold quickly, plan your diet containing the mentioned foods and of course eat more food containing Vitamin C.
Having a cold a person needs vitamin C. It is vital for our organism as thanks to this vitamin our immune system can work properly, making the body to fight the disease with its own power. So it is better to refuse medical treatment, but instead supplement your diet with:
- tea with lemon.
Important: Interestingly, the warm tea (or just water) with lemon, may help to get rid of a cold in a few days, if you drink it every two to three hours throughout the day.
In case of having high temperature up to 38 it is desirable to starve at least for a day. If the body temperature is above 38,5, then fasting for 1-2 days is obligatory.
When you don’t eat anything the body begins to actively clean from all sorts of unnecessary things. The energy exempts as it isn’t used for processing and assimilation of food anymore. The food is poorly absorbed during illness.
During fasting, it is necessary to drink only pure water (preferably hot) with the lemon juice to taste. If the body temperature is normal or slightly more than 37 ° and you do not want to starve, exclude the following products:
- any kind of meat,
- dairy products,
- fast foods.
Preference is given to the freshly prepared dishes of vegetables. Don’t forget about hot tea with lemon. Black currants in any form – the most active folk remedy for cold and flu.
Important: High temperature is a protective reaction of the body. Viruses lose their strength and the immune system can deal with them.
You cannot at once “clean up” the common cold of the body, but a large amount of fluid can help. You can drink:
- herbal broth,
- tea with lemon and honey.
Many parents give chicken soup to sick children. Scientists have studied the properties of chicken soup and found that it can help to get rid of colds and flu symptoms in two ways:
- First, the broth acts as an anti-inflammatory agent, delaying neutrophil migration – immune system cells that participate in the body’s response to inflammation.
- Secondly, it increases the rate of release of the nasal mucus, thereby reducing swelling and the contact time with the virus nasal mucosa.
You can use any kind of bouillon: canned or homemade.
It is well-known that ginger has an antivirus action. That’s why it is the right decision to use it to fight a cold. How to prepare a tea with ginger? It is very simple if to follow this recipe:
- Cut a few slices of ginger root
- fill it with a glass of boiling water,
- leave for a while.
When a ready-made ginger tea has cooled, you can add sugar or honey to your taste and enjoy the fragrant and useful drink.
Tea with cardamom
It is affordable and indispensable remedy in the treatment of colds. Tea with the addition of cardamom is able to fight a cold effectively with the help of its healing properties which are able to:
- relieve symptoms of colds,
- eliminate the hoarseness,
- remove first symptoms of sore throat
- provide a therapeutic effect on inflamed throat.
Prepare this drink when you notice the first symptoms. To make this tea, you will need:
- 8 boxes of cardamom
- a half liters of water
Put cardamom in the water, bring it to a boil and leave to simmer for five minutes. Give the drink a brew and cool at the same time. Optionally you can add lemon, honey or milk for tea.
Take into account that it is not recommended to drink tea when it is hot.
Pine buds tincture
For its preparation you should follow the recipe here:
- Take 1 tbsp of pine buds
- pour two cups of boiling water
- leave it to infuse for an hour.
It is advisable to use for this purpose a thermos, but the pan, cover and steam towels will also suit.
Take the ¼ cup of the ready tincture three times a day. Optionally you can add little sugar or honey.
Drink based on hot beer
There is an effective cold treatment, which is based on a hot drink with beer. According to the recipe:
- Spread 2 egg yolks
- Add 2 tablespoons sugar until you see thick foam.
- Heat to 45-50 ° C 0.5 liters of light beer,
- add the 0.5 tsp cinnamon sticks
- add 2 cloves
- add 1 lemon grated on a fine grater.
- put the cooked yolk foam in the pan and pour the beer into it.
- stir the resulting mixture constantly,
- heat it over medium heat for 5 minutes,
- cool slightly.
It is recommended to drink 1 glass of the resulting hot broth before going to bed, wear warm socks and sleep under several blankets to sweat. A few days will be enough to get rid of a severe cold.
Warning: This method can only be used for adults.
Prepare raspberry tea using the following ingredients:
- 100 g fresh raspberries,
- 2 tablespoons of jam,
- leaves or dried fruit
- a glass of boiling water,
Let it infuse during 15-25 minutes. This mix is an excellent diaphoretic and antipyretic homemade remedy.
How it works: raspberry contains natural aspirin – salicylic acid. It is milder, in comparison with the aspirin and the action does not cause gastric ulcer. In addition, the tannins in its fruits and leaves inhibit the development of local inflammatory processes. Therefore, raspberry tea cannot only be drunk but also used for rinsing your throat.
Raspberries are effective in fighting a cold as it contains a lot of vitamin C.
In order to prepare an onion infusion from cold it is necessary to follow these instructions:
- Finely chop a small onion
- Pour it with a glass of boiling water
- Cover and leave for 5 minutes.
- Then drink prepared infusion with quick gulps.
This method of getting rid of the common cold is very effective because the phytoncids contained in onions, instantly allow treating the disease in its early stages.
Beet juice for sore throat
In addition to the instillation into the nose, beet juice should be taken orally: half of a glass a few times during the day. For this purpose:
- take water or carrot juice which is preferable
- dilute beet juice with carrot juice in a ratio of 1: 1
Also, when you have severe pain in the throat it is recommended to rinse it with the beet juice.
It is effective to rinse throat with the beet juice with a spoonful of vinegar.
Important: Try to avoid alcohol, coffee and carbonated caffeine drinks, as they can exacerbate dehydration.
Garlic pulp or juice should be mixed with honey in the ratio 1: 1. It is recommended to take 1-2 teaspoons twice a day with a glass of water.
Also, you can use the following recipe:
- Grind 3-4 garlic cloves,
- Pour them with a glass of water
- Boil for 15-20 minutes.
It has similar effect to inhalation (breath it with your eyes closed).
Use garlic juice in the nose, in spite of numerous recommendations, is not necessary, as this may cause a burn of mucous. Garlic really helps to relieve stuffy nose. To use it with this aim, it must be crushed, wrapped in a bandage. Hold garlic near each nostril for 5-7 minutes.
Cook a simple homemade remedy using milk. Follow the instructions:
- Take 1 liter of milk
- add 4-5 tablespoons of honey
- add half a spoon of vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon,
- add a few peas allspice and bay leaf.
The mixture should be brought to a boil. Then infuse it for about 5 minutes.
Milk contains tryptophan, necessary for the synthesis of a powerful sedative – serotonin. In addition, milk contains a lot of useful enzymes, which support the immune system.
Lime and chamomile
It is effective to use tinctures with lime and chamomile to fight the first symptoms of a cold. In order to prepare such tincture, you should:
- take fresh lime
- add chamomile
- let it stay for about 15-20 minutes
- Take it twice a day or three times during several days till you feel a relief
Besides, the folk medicine offers to prepare natural remedies using honey and milk, as well as teas with raspberry from high fever.
Use the recipe below to make the mulled wine which is a good antiseptic, in addition, it is rich in natural amino acids and vitamins.
- Take red sweet wine (1 liter),
- add the cloves,
- add pepper,
- 3-4 tablespoons of sugar (preferably honey),
- add a half teaspoon of nutmeg.
- add cinnamon, vanilla and cardamom ( to your taste ).
- then cut savory apple and lemon and add them in the spiced wine.
- bring mulled wine to a boil,
- leave it for 15-25 minutes and drink warm.
This drink is a perfect prophylactic against colds.
The spices have a warming effect and improve blood circulation. There are also a lot of Vitamin C. Healing properties are given to the mulled wine by the whole complex of its components.
It is believed that first red pepper to get rid of a cold was used by the ancient Indian healers. The recipe is simple:
- chew half of red hot pepper,
- wash it down with 50 grams of vodka or add vodka into coffee spoon of the ground pepper and drink it in one gulp.
Hot pepper has a vasodilating effect. In addition, it is a source of vitamin C. Vodka in this recipe acts as an anesthetic. It smooths out unpleasant sensations of burning pepper. A small amount of alcohol also contributes to the vasodilatation, resulting in improved blood flow and for some period of time it contributes to the better overall health.
Iodine-saline and egg
It is very effective to rinse throat often when you have a cold and other viral diseases. It is recommended to rinse it not less than every two hours. It is possible to use the herbal infusions (for example, chamomile and sage) but it is even more effective to use iodine-saline solution. You will need:
- 200 ml warm water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 drops of iodine.
There is one more proven remedy- egg solution. To make it you should take:
- one egg-white
- stir it in ½ cup of warm water
- add 1 tsp of salt and baking soda
- stir thoroughly
- slowly start adding the hot water, up to 200 ml.
The resulting solution is used for rinsing throat according to the traditional scheme, that is, to repeat the procedure every two hours.
Another popular variant of cold treatment using folk remedies is the use of ordinary glass jars. This method is known to mankind for hundreds of years: According to historical sources, it was used in ancient China and ancient Egypt. Place multiple hot jars on the skin surface. This method is popular due to its benefits:
- it is effective,
- it is simple
- it is cheap
Important: This remedies are effective only when a cold just begun.
In conclusion, we present a few important tips to help you get rid of the disease as quickly as possible:
- Drink a lot of warm liquid to reduce toxicity levels and elevated blood viscosity;
- Stimulate sweating for the resumption of normal thermoregulation and detoxifying;
- Fortification (Vitamin C is particularly important) for the maintenance of immune response;
- Regularly ventilate and clean the room.
- Do not try to fully get rid of cough as it is another protective reflex, which helps the body to fight infection. It is necessary to treat it only in case it lasts for more than three or four days.